Author Topic: Starting a Jazz for the first time in 10months, what Should you do?  (Read 2489 times)

guest6436

I left my other Jazz abroad parked in garage with windows open /battery disconnected and without much fuel left approx 10months ago and haven't seen the car since, I will be going abroad now and will be using it, however what should be the things you should do before trying to start and use the car?
I have left it in past for maybe 3-4months at a time and didn't really had any problems, but this time the timeperiod will be almost a year..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Starting a Jazz for the first time in 10months, what Should you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
I would charge the battery fully before reconnecting it. Check all fluid levels. Remove (front) plugs and squirt some clean engine oil into each bore. Before replacing plugs, crank engine over for a few turns (be aware that oil may spurt from plug threads - cover with a rag or such). Replace plugs and reconnect. Add as much fresh petrol to tank as you can. Crank engine and hope it starts. Assuming it starts, and I don't see why it shouldn't, try moving vehicle. Brakes may be stuck on (if handbrake left on while parked) or at least sticky. Carefully drive to a filling station, checking brakes are working correctly. Check wheel centres are not hot. Fill tank with fresh fuel and with luck that should be you up and running.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
Good advice from Jocko,  if you make a habit of leaving car for long periods I would leave handbrake off and add redex to fuel to stop things gumming up (when dinosaur juice evaporates it leaves a sticky residue behind which can clog injectors and generally cause problems in fuel system) - I even use it in my lawnmower and it starts easily after winter layup.  Personally I would also add some Molyslip to engine oil,  as this stays in bearing surfaces when the oil has drained away and will protect them from wear during period when no oil is present during startup.

I would also leave battery connected to a maintenance charger while it is layed up,  after more than 10 months standing it will have undoubtedly sulphated up and battery will be permanently damaged,  this is even more likely in warmer climate where battery discharges faster.  Beware leaving windows open as mice and other things may find it an ideal place to nest,  and they will chew up the upholstery, seats and anything else they can get their teeth into (including wiring sometimes).

I even take seat off my motorbike when in garage over winter as the mice will make a home on the nice comfy foam in that,  I have had mice in garage a couple of times in the past (cute little brown woodmice with button eyes, not the grey housemouse) and you should have seen the damage they did to books, leather boots, golf bag and some foam I had stored,  not a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:24:27 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
Agree with all the advice , remember its key that the battery is in good state of state  - ensure terminals are clean tight and has been fully charged. I used to keep the wipers clear of the windscreen - they are worth checking before you drive away.
I'd fill with shell V power or another high grade unleaded fuel make.
[Maybe worth turning over the engine initially with a socket on the crank rather than the key given its over 12 months]

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
[Maybe worth turning over the engine initially with a socket on the crank rather than the key given its over 12 months]
With the plugs out you should be able to turn it with the drive belt, just to check it is free to turn.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »
Don't forget the tyres, pressure and wall conditions inner wall as well.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
Rightly or wrong according to the AA make sure the key is your pocket when connecting the battery. Allegedly if you don't you can really upset the immobilisor.

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
I got access to my jazz today and just connected the battery and with the first crank it was up and running with 0 problems, washed it and brought it straight to MOT place and it passed without a single problem..  lol not bad for a 14year old car with 308,000km on it .

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:28 PM »
Wow! That good ol' Jazz! :D

Tags:

anything