Author Topic: Windscreen Wiper Silliness  (Read 4614 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Windscreen Wiper Silliness
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »
Last night driving back from golf my wipers ran a couple of times for no particular reason shortly after I set off.

Tonight driving back from work they were running two or three times a minute intermittently until I'd been driving for five minutes.

In both cases there was no rain. Has anyone else seen this? My theory at the moment is that they are reacting to condensation somehow.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Windscreen Wiper Silliness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »
Unlike the lights, the wipers have an off switch.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
I've got a Mk2 so not directly relevant but I've had the odd apparently random sweep and I've always put it down to condensation or something like that - especially at this time of year.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
I would not leave the wipers in auto if there was the remotest chance of the blades freezing to the screen. I once had a car that gave one wipe at engine start if left in auto, not a good combination with frost.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:41:53 PM »
I experienced this tonight. There was condensation on the windscreen, and the wipers do not remove it from in front of the camera.  This was the first time in 8 months that I've needed to turn the auto-wipers off.
Of course, it could have some connection with Hallow'en.................. :-X
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:08:00 PM by Downsizer »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »
I would not leave the wipers in auto if there was the remotest chance of the blades freezing to the screen. I once had a car that gave one wipe at engine start if left in auto, not a good combination with frost.

There are drivers who are so lazy they try to clear icy / frosty / snow covered screen with their wipers  :o (normally the same ones who don't bother to put anti-freeze in their washer bottle and will happily pour a kettle of hot water onto screen to clear it )  their brains probably have poorly implemented buggy software (at least autonomous cars won't need wipers LOL  :D so one thing less to go wrong ).

'artificial intelligence is not, and never will be a match for natural stupidity '.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:11:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
While Halloween is a distinct possibility, the rain (or wet screen) sensor shines an infra red light onto the screen and assess the reflection for distortion caused by a wet surface, so condensation could trigger the wipers if they are in auto.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:38:43 AM by Deeps »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
While Halloween is a distinct possibility, the rain (or wet screen) sensor shines an infra red light onto the screen and assess the reflection for distortion caused by a wet surface, so condensation could trigger the wipers if they are in auto.
Makes sense. A bit irritating though. It's a new 'feature' not present in the previous model :-/

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
At least the wipers have an off switch!  Good job the lights don't need one. :-)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:25:44 AM by Deeps »

Tags: