Author Topic: Motor Insurance Bureau  (Read 5702 times)

guest5079

Motor Insurance Bureau
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
Here's one for the learned. I hope this is the correct place.
I will explain firstly that the experts have decided that along with my other woes I have a touch of the 'PTSD' which among other matters means I cannot use or be near a telephone when it is in use. I hate the thing with a vengeance.
This morning, the phone rang and my Wife, rushed ( relative when you are disabled) to answer it.
A lilting Indian Lady, announced that she was from the Motor Insurance Bureau. To this my Wife terminated the call.
My Wife cannot use a computer ( health reasons) so she does the phone bit and I the computer. I tried to report this phone call as I am sure it was nothing to do with the MIB.  I managed to get in touch with the MIB via E mail but as to BT forget it. Despite being such a fantastic supplier of broadband, you cannot contact them via that medium unless you give them a phone number and a time for them to contact you.  I cannot be the only person of the close on 60,000,000 people who live on this group of islands called the UK that has similar problems. Comments please, reasonable ones would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Motor Insurance Bureau
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
Simple answer: Take a breath, forget it, do something nice instead.

BT or any phone company doesn't really act on individual cases like this, but they will add "anonymous call reject*" for £5.40 a month, although free to vulnerable groups by special arrangement but watch bills closely as the charges have re-appeared sometimes.  Other providers charge a couple of pounds a month, TalkTalk's phone privacy features have been free since their hacking issues a while back.

Partial or unavailable numbers will still get through and even if rejecting withheld numbers and registering on the telephone preference service, overseas call centre are not bound by it as there is no enforcement mechanism, and it's also quite a lot of effort complaining to Ofcom who can only act against entities in the UK anyway (possibly Europe by referral). You are required to present a lot of evidence to show harassment/nuisance/distress rather than persistence from callers.

Companies who's primary line of business is surveys can also ignore the TPS, although "Did you have PPI?" is not a survey.

Just one thing to bear in mind, the caller is usually on minimum wage, with a horrible boss and a target to meet, so politely disengaging straight away rather than giving information or abuse is probably best. Sounds like your wife knows the drill.
--
TG

* Anonymous call reject might block genuine incoming calls such the appointments service at the local doctors if they withhold their number.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:43:56 PM »
I purchased a BT 8500 phone, (£24, Ebay).

It allows through, any numbers stored in it's phonebook. It asks any unknown caller, to give their name.......

We haven't had a single nuisance call, in the past 13 months!  ;)

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
To use the MIB name is a bit naughty to say the least given that this organisation is usually dealing with people who have been dumped on through no insurance etc.
What depths these scammers will resort beggars belief, yes I appreciate that the poor mut making the calls is just trying to earn a crust.
Unfortunately these calls are selected as I understand it by computer so even if you are like us ex directory , the number can sometimes come up. My Wife is usually quite on the ball using caller identification
My point about BT was that I cannot contact them by Email because they insist on a phone number. Last year correspondence went on for several months and despite me threatening them with disability discrimination and NOT including our phone number on letters we still got the lady from India trying to speak to me.  Yet other BT depts claim they don't have access to our details.
Another missive has just been dispatched as they have told me that they are going to increase my broadband in July despite them holding me to a contract that runs till September. Good ere init

Tags:

anything