Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172777 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
I have just read Barcam's post above, I note that our first tank fuel consumptions are similar. We obviously both drive in the real world. :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:19:57 PM by Deeps »

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
I have just read Barcam's post above, I note that our first tank fuel consumptions are similar. We obviously both drive in the real world. :-)

Getting to the refill stage on my last tank of petrol so it will be interesting to see what effect the warm weather has on the mpg. Most of the time I don't belt the car what is the point in nose to tail traffic. I mainly use the power of the 1.5 engine for pulling away at road junctions and roundabouts.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
My third tank came out at 42.2 mpg leaving an average of 41.6 over 585 miles. 80% of the driving has been town stuff and the average speed of 17 mph perhaps tells you all you need to know about where I do most of my driving.

Not great but not bad either. Unfortunately I haven't yet had the chance to do any significant distance driving.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »
Just had a refill which gave me just over 50 mpg. 65% city driving so I'm well pleased. The weather helps but, looking back at my Mk2s, I only got over 50 mpg if I was at 10% city driving.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
Just had a refill which gave me just over 50 mpg. 65% city driving so I'm well pleased. The weather helps but, looking back at my Mk2s, I only got over 50 mpg if I was at 10% city driving.

FWIW:

My Mk2 CVT averaged 43.3 mpg over 25,761 miles of very mixed motoring in a 22 month period.

My Mk3 CVT has averaged 46.1 mpg over 28,383 miles of similar mixed motoring in a 24 month period.

The above two numbers are very comparable as our usage has not changed over the last four years.

I have not tried to record city vs non-city driving...are your percentages subjective or are you recording it somehow?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »
I read a thread on Fuelly about how Americans would record city versus highway. City was an average of 22 mph and highway an average of 49 mph.

In the UK I use the difference between urban (an average speed of 12 mph) and extra urban (an average speed of 39mph). You deduct 12 mph from whatever your average speed on the computer is, multiply that by 100, divide by 27 and that gives you your highway (or extra urban) percentage.

Oddly, in both cases, the difference between the 2 sets of figures is 27.

So, in my case, I'm saying that 65% of my driving is urban - ie very short journeys with lots of gear changes and the engine below operating temperature.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
On Sunday morning I drove from Haydock to High Wycombe in light traffic,180ish miles, cruise control, 70 mph all the way. The cars info screen was showing an average of 60 mpg which I expected to be 4 mpg optimistic judging from my 1.3 Jazz. The full to full calculation was 58 mpg. I did not believe the calculation and got Mrs Sky to check it, we agreed (a novelty) that the calculation was correct. I am amazed, a bit better than the 37 mpg I have achieved in different conditions, or when "making progress".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:34:34 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
On Sunday morning I drove from Haycock to High Wycombe in light traffic,180ish miles, cruise control, 70 mph all the way. The cars info screen was showing an average of 60 mpg which I expected to be 4 mpg optimistic judging from my 1.3 Jazz. The full to full calculation was 58 mpg. I did not believe the calculation and got Mrs Sky to check it, we agreed (a novelty) that the calculation was correct. I am amazed, a bit better than the 37 mpg I have achieved in different conditions, or when "making progress".

The hot weather and constant speed all contribute to good MPG.  and the smoother the drive the more accurate the onboard MPG display.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
On Sunday morning I drove from Haycock to High Wycombe in light traffic,180ish miles, cruise control, 70 mph all the way. The cars info screen was showing an average of 60 mpg which I expected to be 4 mpg optimistic judging from my 1.3 Jazz. The full to full calculation was 58 mpg. I did not believe the calculation and got Mrs Sky to check it, we agreed (a novelty) that the calculation was correct. I am amazed, a bit better than the 37 mpg I have achieved in different conditions, or when "making progress".

I was on the motorway the other day, cruise control at 70 showing 58mpg, great I thought then I hit a big traffic jam for twenty minutes, mpg dropped to 54. Heavy stop/start traffic makes a big difference to the fuel consumption. I must admit I put my foot down on the way home, that makes a noticeable difference.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
Cruise control at 70 mph would be a true 66 mph on mine, based on Satnav reading.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Cruise control at 70 mph would be a true 66 mph on mine, based on Satnav reading.

Excellent, no speeding tickets.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:20:23 PM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
I have completed my trip to the south, total 978 miles, no motorway holdups, 70 mph on cruise control apart from a few road works at 50 mph, a couple of days light London traffic included. Fuel consumption calculated full to full for the 978 miles, 48 mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »
You will be pleased with that.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
You will be pleased with that.

Yes, no complaints, just a shame it is not always that good. The hooligan mpg is not so clever. :-)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
Last 2 fills, including one today, have been just over 50 mpg and just under 50 mpg. My average now nudging 45 and that's over a 1000 miles with the extended winter, in part, offsetting the glorious summer.

I think it's going to pan out with the Mk3 CVT being, give or take, about 10% better than the Mk2 manual. Reasonably content with that.

Still a long way behind Jocko :)

Tags:

anything