Author Topic: BREAKDOWN - my first in 30 years!  (Read 11012 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
BREAKDOWN - my first in 30 years!
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:39 PM »
In 1980, my first car, a 1969 Morris Minor, broke down on the M6 North bound, coming down off the Shap hill. In my enthusiasm for getting a bit more speed from good old gravity, I had pushed the car a little bit, and the High Tension lead vibrated itself off the coil and I lost all power instantly in the third lane. I managed to manoeuvre the car safely to the hard shoulder where a hard lesson in life ensued - namely - take a look under the bonnet yourself before calling out an expensive breakdown service, in case there's an obviously loose lead flapping about and a shiny terminal which it clearly pushes on to. Not an experience I ever wanted to repeat though, losing power in the third lane.

Since that Morris 1000 I have had no breakdowns, other than two tyre blowouts. I have had two Vauxhall Novas, a Ford Fiesta, a Triumph Spitfire, a Renault Five, a Toyota Corolla, A Ford Granada, a Ford Sierra, a Vauxhall Cavalier, a Ford Mondeo, a Honda CR-V, a Landrover Freelander, a Renault Laguna, a Nissan X-Trail, another Honda CR-V and two Honda Jazz's. Most of these cars were owned from new, with the exception of the Morris 1000, Mini, Spitfire, Granada, Sierra and Jazz's.

I have had my HR-V less than three weeks, and then last night, whilst driving up the M6 I the third lane, on comes the engine warning light, 'limp home' mode is initiated and suddenly I am driving a brick at 50mph when everything all round me is doing 65mph or more! Very frightening indeed. I managed to get across to the hard shoulder where, 75 minutes later, a mechanic rocked up with a handheld computer to read the fault code and reset the fault, then send me on my way.

Thanks for that Honda. All confidence in my new vehicle has been deleted. I hope it can be rebuilt, we will see. Certainly the dealership has been very responsive in getting e car booked in and getting me a replacement vehicle. But this is not the experience you want or expect from a brand new car.

HR-V 1.6iDtec Ex
(Also posted elsewhere)

guest1372

Re: BREAKDOWN - my first in 30 years!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
What was the cause/code, if known?
--
TG

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
The code was P148E, which meant nothing to the Recovery guy. I'm hoping the Honda dealership can at least tell me what that means when the car goes in on Monday.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
If the code meant nothing to the recovery driver, and it was re-set at the breakdown site, does that mean the vehicle is being used with the original cause of the engine warning light coming on unknown?

A friend who had experience of being a motor mechanic always refers to the engine waning light as "The new engine required" light.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Fault code maybe linked to P0147 Third Heated Oxygen Sensor (Third HO2S) (Sensor 3)
Lets know how things turn out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
My Bro-in-law has had a Volvo for about 18 months from new, it has let him down badly about 4 times so far with ECU problems,  all the warning lights come on and car will not start, sometimes when he stops in traffic it can just stop and won't start again and has to call breakdown service.   I am surprised he lets his wife go out in it on her own because I wouldn't trust it.  Volvo just say it 'may be a loose wire connection' but haven't found it yet.   Volvo he has is based on Ford Focus and I believe Ford have had their fair share of ECU problems over the years.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
I should hope that it's just one of those things that won't reoccur.
It does seem unfortunate that the situation you found yourself in was one of the worst possible so that may affect your feelings. (Mine: 1990, blow-out, lane 3, M25, dusk. Bought decent branded tyres ever since and never bumped up a kerb again.)
It's probably good that it happened now rather than in 6 > 12 months, so it is unarguably car rather than owner caused, should be no friction from the dealer.

A bit of research leads to:

P0148 - Fuel Delivery Error
P014e - Oxygen Sensor Slow Response Rich to Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1

Makes me think it could be something as minor as a speck of contaminant, rather than a mechanical fault.
But our speculation is largely irrelevant, now's the time you find out how good your dealer is, although the Xmas break may be inconvenient.
--
TG

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
I have to say that learning HR-V was going to be built in Mexico didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »
Truth is modern diesels have to be fitted with more and more sensors and gadgets to try (try, but not succeed by a long way) and meet Euro5 and 6 emissions and have become  far more complicated than their petrol counterparts,  and it seems more more likely to go wrong,  also a lot more expensive to fix when something does go wrong.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5251

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
i have just found this info,it looks like an emission fault.

First digit structure is as follows:

Pxxxx for powertrain
    Bxxxx for body
    Cxxxx for chassis
    Uxxxx for future systems

Second digit structure is:

P0xxx Government required codes
    P1xxx Manufacturer codes for additional emission system function; not required but reported to the government

Third digit structure is:

Px1xx measurement of air and fuel
    Px2xx measurement of air and fuel
    Px3xx ignition system
    Px4xx additional emission control
    Px5xx speed and idle regulation
    Px6xx computer and output signals
    Px7xx transmission
    Px8xx transmission
    Px9xx control modules, input and output signals

The fourth and fifth digits designate the individual components and systems.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
Well the Honda dealership don't have a listing for P148E and rather unhelpfully the recovery guy cleared the code and deleted all the data in the computer, so we have nothing to go on. The best theory is that the recovery guy wrote down the wrong code, as P149E is a genuine code and indicates an exhaust gas recirculation valve problem.

So all I can do now is hope it was a glitch and doesn't reoccur.

guest5589

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
incase you are wondering what was the issue.. this page explains the reasons etc.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/i-dtec-1-6-diesel-dtc-p149e.20748/live?page=1#post-164696

Tags:

anything