Author Topic: spluttering type issue on low revs  (Read 8380 times)

guest4574

spluttering type issue on low revs
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
Hi All,

Anyone have any ideas on what can cause the Jazz to splutter/stutter at low revs when pulling off?
If you lift the revs to say 1500rpm + and pull off its not as bad/not noticeable but low revs & pull off its like its miss firing & spluttering  ::)
I have serviced it with 8 new genuine honda plugs, good oil & honda oil filter, new coil packs front & back on cylinder no.4 as the check engine light came on a few times and said miss fire on cylinder no.4. Lots of fuel line cleaner like redex & lucas fuel treatment put through but still the issue.  New battery & air filter also done a few months ago.
Cleaned the EGR a couple of times since owning.
Car starts fine, good mpg, does not cut out or drive odd.  Just this splutter/stutter on low/slow acceleration.

oh & i have a new genuine fuel filter as well to fit as the car has done 115k, i know its meant to be a forever/life unit but i got it for £17 new from fleabay so thought might as well!

Only thing i can think of is more coil packs are required? or the dreaded egr needs replacing?

Any help / advice appreciated as we are going away in it in September & need it running well! thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: spluttering type issue on low revs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
or the dreaded egr needs replacing?

to rule out the EGR,  make a thin metal plate to fit under EGR flange and block off the main passage - the car should run fine, and there is no reason not to leave it there as you should never have EGR problems again.

EGR is only there to allow burnt gases back into induction manifold to 'cool' combustion and reduce nitrous oxide (NOx) at high revs,  if it sticks open it is like having a hole in the inlet manifold a low revs, if it stuck closed you would never know  :).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4574

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:48 PM »
Thanks, will give it a try

guest4885

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
Would be very interested to hear the outcome on this issue as we appear to have the same fault. Recently took over ownership of this car from father in law and problem started to occur. No engine faults come up and Honda main dealer has twice carried out diagnostics and no fault indicated.
They have also test driven and never felt what I described as a hiccup or as you say a stutter. Mainly at take off whilst increasing speed.
Dealer has suggested could be coils but as 8 and none indicating a fault + myself no mechanical experience so have to rely on others would appreciate feedback and advice from anyone.
Cheers.

Dustygd3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd3 sport
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
Think I seen the metal plat for sale on ebay if that helps a bit

guest4574

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
I have already ordered the plate off ebay and will post up how it goes.
Need to get some time to swap the fuel filter over as well - dont think this will help but as i got it so cheap im going fit it anyhow.
Was also thinking about the coil packs, ive replaced two - cylinder number 4 as thats what my plug in gizmo told me was the issue which pointed to the coil packs as i have already done the 8 plugs. So far the engine light has not returned after doing this but there is still the splutter/stuttering at low revs. Now to me if it was more coil packs the issue would be at higher revs when they are under more load to feed the plugs not at tick over to say 1500rpm.  I also notice its worse when reversing!? Not a definate but im sure it is.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
Is it like kangarooing where the car jerks?
Will the engine idle at say 1100 rpm or do the revs rise to say 1300 then drop then rise again and then drop?

guest4574

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
The revs dont rise an fall as and when, it literally just does a splutter type and doesnt kangeroo.
I have just fitted the egr blanking plate an it does seem better so im guessing its time to save for a new egr valve

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
I have just fitted the egr blanking plate an it does seem better so im guessing its time to save for a new egr valve

many people leave blanking plate on as it won't affect performance or economy but just gets rid of EGR problems forever
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4574

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »

many people leave blanking plate on as it won't affect performance or economy but just gets rid of EGR problems forever

i suppose you can you that but my check engine light came on my obd2 scanner said the issue was the egr valve since i fitted the blanking plate, still reckon i will get the new egr though as the engine light will get on my nerves!

Tags: