Author Topic: Clicking noise when braking  (Read 9996 times)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Clicking noise when braking
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
The car is a new (Sept 11, MY12(?)) ES CVT and it's started clicking when I press the brake peddle.  The clicking is infrequent, but now always when I back out of the drive and a couple of times at the start of the trip.  I doesn't seem to do it when the car is warmed up.  The noise seems TI come from the rear nearside wheel and a couple of times I thought I cous feel it in the peddle.  Braking is unaffected both when it clicks or any time after the car's warmed up.

Anyone any ideas or had similar?  Going to get it booked in for the dealer to have a look at.

TIA

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
Re: Clicking noise when braking
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
Sounds like one of the brake pads is moving in it's mounting. it'll only be by a tiny little bit but it gets amplified through the drive train and chassis.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
Cheers, that would make sense in that once the hub was warmed up the pad would be seated correctly.  SWMBO's out & about in the car tomorrow, she's heard it once so knows what to listen for.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
Car's off to the dealer tomorrow.  Clicking steadily getting worse & not just the one hub.  Also breaks now squeak a bit too. 

Other "issues" to go on the list are creaking dash on long trips and rattly tappet type noise when car is cold.

guest229

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:23:33 AM »
It's piston slap they all do that to some extent or other paticularly noticeable in the Winter!

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
Cheers, I assume that's the rattly tappet type noise not the pistons in the brake caliper?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:23:56 AM by D3DSL »

guest2865

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
When you brake moving backwards the pads are pulled back in the calliper if there is any free play in the seating - then when you brake moving forward they are pulled in the other direction and take up the free play again - that is the noise - nothing at all to do with piston slap  ::)

IMO that is a good sound because it means that the brake pads are not getting bound up in the calliper with rust and dirt which can lead to all sorts of wear problems. [especially on rear disc brake models]

guest229

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 07:09:17 AM »
I was refering to the rattling noise when cold NOT the point about the noise wnen braking.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »
Thanks, that's what I thought but thought better check.  Strange the piston slap also started on my Discovery 3 after the 105k cambelt change. 

guest2865

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Cheers, I assume that's the rattly tappet type noise not the pistons in the brake caliper?

Your "rattly tappet type noise" is most probably associated with the valve gear/cam drive.  "Piston slap"  seems to be referred to a great deal more on this Forum than I have seen the term for many years.  'Piston slap' is virtually extinct in modern engines due to the much closer manufacturing tolerances and processes.  It is not 'rattly' in character - more like a light 'doinky' sound - once heard never forgotten.  I reckon you need to be over 60 years of age to recognise/remember 'piston slap'.

EDIT 1: another attempt to describe the sound of Piston Slap - light hollow 'doinky' sound  ;D

EDIT 2: Piston slap is produced when the piston skirt has a relatively large clearance in the cylinder bore and 'slaps' off of the bore when changing direction mainly at the bottom of the stroke.  It does not mean that this larger clearance fit is bad for combustion because the piston rings can be fine and seal well as far as compression is concerned.  Piston slap was reduced many years ago by introducing 'split skirt' pistons which can have a better 'sprung' fit of the skirt in the bore.

Here endeth the Lesson  :-X

guest2662

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
its more like a hollow sound, rather than a rattle heard it in mostly in older cars.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »
Deffo rattly tappet type noise (as I understand it).  Something I need to get seen to?  Anyone else got the same?  Questions, questions. :'(

guest2865

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
Deffo rattly tappet type noise (as I understand it).  Something I need to get seen to?  Anyone else got the same?  Questions, questions. :'(

My new Jazz has 600 miles and has a slight rattly  (whirry) sound which I have put down to being the cam shaft drive which I understand has been reverted to chain rather than toothed belt (thank goodness!).  Chain driven camshaft engines do have (traditionally) a slight rattly sound.  Don't know about earlier Jazz engines. Which engine year do you have and what mileage - what is service history?

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
It's a MY12, new in October with about 1,500 miles. 

guest2865

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
It's a MY12, new in October with about 1,500 miles.

Stop worrying and just enjoy the car!  Forget all the nonsense about Piston Slap !!!!

Ooops - hit thank you by accident  :o

Tags:

anything