Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 204969 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »
Welcome. That is very good mpg figures. I only saw 2-3 mpg difference, and here the price difference was 10p+ a litre, so there was no contest.

Same here, especially as I normally use a Sainsbury's petrol station in an area where there's also a Morrisons, ASDA, Tesco and x2 Esso stations within a few miles. The local Shell garage has much less competition so the price hike to use V-Power isn't worth it for the marginal mpg gains. Using Shell V-Power did however appear to make the EGR valve (?) issue less noticeable in stop/start traffic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
Did an interim top up today, so I could do my annual anniversary audit. Unbelievable figure of 70.9 mpg for 234.2 miles. Short top ups are not the most accurate. Average for the past year (8,910 miles) worked out at 55.2 mpg.

I have stopped buying petrol at Morrisons. I crossed over town to Asda, so I will use them for a spell to see if I can avoid "iffy" top ups.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:12:24 PM by Jocko »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
Welcome. That is very good mpg figures. I only saw 2-3 mpg difference, and here the price difference was 10p+ a litre, so there was no contest.

Same here, especially as I normally use a Sainsbury's petrol station in an area where there's also a Morrisons, ASDA, Tesco and x2 Esso stations within a few miles. The local Shell garage has much less competition so the price hike to use V-Power isn't worth it for the marginal mpg gains. Using Shell V-Power did however appear to make the EGR valve (?) issue less noticeable in stop/start traffic.

I think the situation is that Jocko already drives carefully for maximum MPG.  so maybe higher octane would only make a small difference.  I drive 'fairly normally' and did notice that higher octane made enough difference to MPG and the smoothness of the engine to make it worthwhile,  and this was tried over many years of the same 80 mile round trip per day commute,  in all seasons and temperatures.   I don't do enough miles now to worry too much about MPG,  but still fill up every third or fourth tank with V power or similar.

I still think from experience that MK1 iDSi is capable of better MPG than later models if you want to drive it carefully,  so much for all the tech on later models promising better MPG.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

philiph

• Approved Member
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »
63,2 MPG

(380 miles, mostly highway)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
63,2 MPG

(380 miles, mostly highway)
That is exceptionally good. I struggle to get the numbers up on highway driving. Unless it is flat you have to keep the speed up to avoid the hills clawing you back, and there is not much you can do to make improvements. I like to get in behind a big truck (not too close just close enough to feel the benefit). I find that town and country roads offer the best opportunity to gain a few mpg, especially if you are familiar with the roads.

philiph

• Approved Member
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
Thanks.
Yes, sometimes I found myself being a truck. :-)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
Today I had a trip into Edinburgh city centre, in the tail of the morning rush hour, and back again an hour later. As usual, I recorded my ScanGauge information. The overall mpg for the 53 mile journey, was 65 mpg, but the figure for the return journey was actually 69 mpg. I find that the 20 mph zone, which is now the centre of Edinburgh, makes for good urban mpg. I pretty much sit in 4th gear, and just let it tootle along. For both parts of the short motorway section I managed to tuck in behind an HGV (not too close), and that always helps. Especially if, like today, I can get behind a fast HGV on the long incline from Rosyth to the A92 turn off. I fact, today I got a tow all the way to Cowdenbeath.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2018, 07:04:39 AM »
Just as a matter of interest, I gathered the ScanGauge data after running my wife to work this morning. I averaged 61.8 mpg for the 3.9 mile round trip. This was from a cold start and the water temperature never quite got up to normal operating temperature. My average speed was 20 mph, a maximum speed of 33 mph and the maximum revs were 2512 rpm.
I have to reiterate that this was at 06:30, and despite all the miles being in town, with roundabouts and traffic lights, there was very little traffic. Conditions were dry and cool.
These figures were just those calculated by my ScanGauge, but it is pretty accurate as it re-calibrates at every fuel fill up and now has about 30 data points to work with.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
Interesting stats Jocko and quite revealing for me albeit I drive a 1.3 Mk3 CVT. I note that the trip was at 06.30 and the average speed was 20 mph.

I looked at the car's computer the other day. In 180 miles my average speed was 17 mph and that included some motorway driving but a whole lot more in dense traffic.

In fact, typically, at a refill, my average speed is about 15 or 16 mph. It shows how heavy traffic kills mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
You can download the ScanGauge data by "Current journey", "Today", "Previous day", or "Tank". I have started noting the "Tank" at each top up, and my average speed is 30 mph over a tank full.  Does make a big difference.

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
53.7 mpg on supermarket petrol usual local and one weekly motorway journey (88miles all in) cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
53.7 mpg on supermarket petrol usual local and one weekly motorway journey (88miles all in) cvt
As you can see from the numbers below my avatar that is only 0.5 mpg off what I have averaged since getting the car. That seems to be a good achievable figure for the Mk 1.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
Filled the tank today. 391 miles, 6.7 gallons, 58.3 mpg. I better enjoy it while it lasts, as that will soon drop as the temperature drops!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Another good top up. 443 miles at 57.5 mpg, calculated. My ScanGauge reckoned 57.4 mpg and the on-board was less than 2% optimistic, at 59.2 mpg.
Purely for convenience I went back to Morrisons, but wished I hadn't, as I slipped and fell on the forecourt. Feeling very sore now. When a 6 foot tall, 18 stone man falls all his length, there are inevitably consequences. Luckily I was still able to drive the short distance home.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
Jocko: do you have the spare wheel/jack/first aid kit in the back?

Tags: