Author Topic: Accident - other driver didn't stop  (Read 17848 times)

Geoffers

Re: Accident - other driver didn't stop
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Bummer! :(

guest229

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
Did the police say why?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »
The police are a law unto themselves, and from experience it seems as though they can decide to drop cases on a whim, without giving you (the one who pays their wages) a reason. They obviously don't consider hit-and-run road accidents as 'real crime', they like the easy, profitable stuff like speed (sorry 'safety') cameras and terrorism scares (whereby they can get huge boost in funding by racking the threat level up regularly, and no one can question their 'evidence').

Robert Peel must be spinning rapidly in his grave over the way that the police are no longer public servants but now appear to be the governments private army of 'untouchables'.

You could try the police complaints ombudsman or you local MP or ask your local council if you can get a refund on the 'police' quota of your council tax because they don't provide you with the service that you are paying for.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
Did the police say why?

No, sadly. I didn't have any witnesses so that maybe why. Without them it maybe hard make it stick.

They did supply the other driver's name and address though.

The other car is insured (it is a 2004/54 plate Punto so it should be) so it's now in the hands of my insurer's legal team.

The only upshot is that my 7 years NCB is protected (max of 2 claims in 3 years).

I've had the Jazz repaired and I'm pleased with the work. They didn't need to even respray the whole bumper or wing (I can tell because the small trolley mark someone done last year to the bottom corner of the front bumper is still there). They forgot to fit the new plastic inner wing but they've ordered one and will fit it later. In total the work took just 2 days.

And that 1-litre Vauxhall Corsa courtesy car (0-62mph: 17 seconds!!!!  :o) has gone back!

guest229

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 06:53:37 AM »
It looks as though you have reached a conclusion albeit not a very satisfactory one, I just hope your insurance company makes the other party suffer.

guest221

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
[censored] idiot.

And as a sidenote....if anyone here has an accident and the other party offers to pay for the damage and not go through the insurance, tell 'em no.

I made that mistake once and it took me ages to get the moron to cough up.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
My insurer has been in contact and told me the third party insurer is unable to trace the policy number for the Punto (which I believe was obtained from the insurer database). Stalling tactic? Punto not insured after all? Or just a simple admin error? I going to chase this up.

guest221

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
Sorry, I've just re-read the original post...he pulled into his own driveway? I would have banged his front door down.

guest238

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
I'd take photos of him and his car from the pavement. Or I'd get out at some traffic lights and stand in front of his car and snap away and him and the damaged area.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
The other day I got a letter from my insurer's legal team stating the third party is denying to his insurer over being involved in the collision (as expected!). They have asked me to clarify how I got the third party details, confirm make/model, witnesses and what info I gave the police.

It seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing as this contradicts what I told by my insurer.

guest436

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
Sorry, I've just re-read the original post...he pulled into his own driveway? I would have banged his front door down.

I'd take photos of him and his car from the pavement. Or I'd get out at some traffic lights and stand in front of his car and snap away and him and the damaged area.

....both of which are likely to result in a punch in the face.  ;D Besides, some of us aren't six foot, we've learnt to run away.  ;D

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
Topic moved to recycle bin as my insurer is now commencing court proceedings.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
Topic reinstated.

Out of the blue I've received a cheque for my excess plus interest. :)

They only sent the papers to the third party two weeks ago so it looks like they fessed up.

guest229

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:26 AM »
Well done Richard full marks for your tenacity. I can't help asking myself what justification there was for putting you through that "aggro" to get recompense from that lowlife.

guest238

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
Maybe the one driving was not the owner and isn't a named driver on the insurance policy? So unless he had insurance on his own vehicle AND drove the Punto with the policyholder's permission then sounds like he wasn't insured.

Tags:

anything