Author Topic: Pensioners have more penalty points than young drivers!  (Read 1979 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Pensioners have more penalty points than young drivers!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:25:39 PM »
I've been driving since 1969 and never had a single point.

I've still got my clean paper licence from 1983 when I last moved.

I am unique :D
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 04:41:54 PM »
1965 for me and no points. Did get a parking ticket for going into a private parking area covered by a camera. It was dark, I drove in then back out, but that was enough.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:38:31 PM »
Been driving since 1955, have driven over half a million miles, with no points
A teenager can only be a group covering 4 years, don’t know what the total number of drivers would be, whereas a pensioner could be a group covering 20+ years, so, obviously the numbers of pensioners will be far more, pro rata.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
"More than 304,000 pensioners (over 65s) currently have penalty points on their driving licence, which is almost 25 times the number of young teenage drivers"

Firstly what do they class as a young teenager as opposed to a teenager ?

And then consider how many more drivers there are in the over 65s bracket.

But I guess it makes a good headline.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
"More than 304,000 pensioners (over 65s) currently have penalty points on their driving licence, which is almost 25 times the number of young teenage drivers."

a meaningless statistic.

There are 12 million OAPs in the UK.

There are an estimated 3.2 million drivers between 17 and 24 year old with a full driving licence  so estimate 3 out of 8 are teenagers *1.2million.

SO OAPs outnumber teenage drivers 10 to 1.
So the 25:1 ratio is really 2.5:1 based on numbers on the road.
Assume many new drivers do hardly any driving...

You can prove anything with meaningless stats.

A very lazy article where the writer skews stats to prove they are innumerate.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »
That's what they say: "Lies, Damm Lies and Statistics".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 06:40:01 PM »
Also, the teenagers normally start with a clean licence whereas older people might well have collected some points before they became OAPs.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 06:51:24 PM »
Also, the teenagers normally start with a clean licence whereas older people might well have collected some points before they became OAPs.

Yeah but points for all but the most very serious offences should be cancelled after 3 years and be taken off records / licence after 4 years. In 50 years of driving I only ever got 3 points in total for 1 minor speeding offence.   

I remember in Australia you HAVE to have green 'P' plates on your vehicle for 12 months after passing your test, and ANY moving traffic offence ( speeding, drunk driving etc.) in that first 12 months means you get your licence taken away and have to start over ..... also they have magnetic 'L' plates  because it is an offence to show 'L' plates on a vehicle not being driven by a learner driver - and the Police carry guns,  so nobody argues - ever.   The blood alcohol limit for 'P' plater is 50% of level allowed for normal drivers... They are tough on new drivers because of they realise that passing test is only the beginning of learning to drive, and they want to guide them the right way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:06:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »
I've been driving since 1969 and never had a single point.

I've still got my clean paper licence from 1983 when I last moved.

I am unique :D

I moved home recently and for identification gave the solicitor my paper licence and he said he hadn't seen one for years.

Now changed my address and have a plastic photo licence which is no longer issued with a paper one.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
In just under 2 years I'll need to get a new one anyway under the age 70 rule.

What I am glad about is that I can view my licence details online, which are correct. I remember the Watchdog item some years ago when full licence holders, when changing to the photocard, did not get one that allowed cars. Quite a few had to resit a test again.

The DVLA refused to accept that they'd made a mistake with some computer entries. It was only when someone actually managed to find an old book type full licence from the 60's that they had to cave in.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
I've covered around 600,000 miles in the last 32 yrs and have driven in 19 different countries. In that time, just one speeding conviction with 3pts and one speeder awareness course. Not too bad.

These days I am a bit slow and steady, plodding along around 60/65. I have done serious speed in the past though, mainly on bikes, and amazed I never got caught. On the wrong days, I would have been banned many, many times. :-X

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 05:15:45 PM »
Ditto

When I tot up my 6 years mini-cabbing in west London at about 30k a year, then add 7 years driving a bus around the Uxbridge area at 90 miles a day less holidays etc. Then add my subsequent commuting round the M25 for 20 years I just be circa 500,000 miles.

Like you I've been a boy racer, and got away with it, but I'm now perfectly happy at 60mph on the motorway often slipstreaming a truck.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
In just under 2 years I'll need to get a new one anyway under the age 70 rule.
What I am glad about is that I can view my licence details online, which are correct. I remember the Watchdog item some years ago when full licence holders, when changing to the photocard, did not get one that allowed cars. Quite a few had to resit a test again.
The DVLA refused to accept that they'd made a mistake with some computer entries. It was only when someone actually managed to find an old book type full licence from the 60's that they had to cave in.

When I first renewed my licence at age 70 the DVLA left my motor cycle licence off my renewal. I managed to talk to someone at the DVLA. They agreed that I held a m/c licence but could I prove that I did. I said that you have just admitted your mistake but in any case I still have my paper licence. I sent the licence card back and it was altered.

Vic.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »
I don't notice oldies locally driving around with illegal exhausts, exceeding the 30mph limits, ignoring pedestrian crossings and driving with their windows open and radios at full volume and max base.
Yes I was young once and broke the law but I couldn't afford a car. The public transport system was much better then.

Vic.

Tags: