Author Topic: Bubbles on alloy wheels  (Read 9373 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Bubbles on alloy wheels
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
I have just bought a 2017 mk3 and have noticed on one of the wheels that there is bubbling, guess it is a reaction to the pad dust, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the fix. Is this covered under Honda warranty maybe? Thanks.
I have had a closer look and it looks like the alloy wheel is pitted in the corner of one of the spokes, there are a few places like this so perhaps its normal, the top coat has not been disturbed, the car is about 13 months old.                  so not sure !!

Unfortunately it only takes a pinprick in the wheels coating to allow water (salty if winter) in and it will cause corrosion under the coating.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
Unfortunately it only takes a pinprick in the wheels coating to allow moisture (salty if winter) in and it will cause corrosion under the coating. Take a look at a few cars, you may be surprised how many have signs of corrosion on their wheels.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
so not much chance of a warranty claim then.....

guest4871

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »
It is a bit difficult to make a judgement without seeing the damage.

If it is as you describe, I certainly would take it to different Honda dealer amd insist on making a claim under the Honda warranty.

Brake dust would not damage it in 13 months particularly on a rear wheel.  Otherwise every car would suffer the same.

It does sound like poor paint preparation in the factory.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »

If it is as you describe, I certainly would take it to different Honda dealer amd insist on making a claim under the Honda warranty.

Brake dust would not damage it in 13 months particularly on a rear wheel.  Otherwise every car would suffer the same.

Do you mean find a dealer who doesn't mind getting a reputation with Honda for making frivolous claims?  Dealers are wary of biting the hand that feeds them

guest4871

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »

Do you mean find a dealer who doesn't mind getting a reputation with Honda for making frivolous claims?  Dealers are wary of biting the hand that feeds them

That's very negative.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

From comments before, there does seem to be history.

No point in giving up before you have started.

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
Honda replaced one of my rear 16 inch diamond cut alloys under warranty which had started to bubble from the centre. I was pleased.

The wheel had been taken off and refitted by the dealer sometime earlier to repair a tyre. Possibly it had been damaged then,  but it does make you a little nervous about how robust these type of wheels are compared to the old silver painted alloys. 

They do seem to be principally a fine fashion item with this new finish !
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by DaveBerks »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
Honda replaced one of my rear 16 inch machine faced alloys under warranty which had started to bubble from the centre. I was pleased.

The wheel had been taken off and refitted by the dealer sometime earlier to repair a tyre. Possibly it had been damaged then,  but it does make you a little nervous about how robust these type of wheels are compared to the old silver painted alloys. 

It seems that diamond cut alloys are easily damaged, and get the dreaded 'white worm' under the clearcoat from such things as stone chips and handling damage caused by having new tyres fitted. It is quite obvious that clearcoat won't be as tough as proper powder coat finish, but as you say it is fashion. Pretty much every new car I see has diamond alloys. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
I am glad my Sport's EX wheels are all black without the diamond cut spokes. I have had problems with diamond cut wheels corroding.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
It seems that diamond cut alloys are easily damaged, and get the dreaded 'white worm' under the clearcoat from such things as stone chips and handling damage caused by having new tyres fitted. It is quite obvious that clearcoat won't be as tough as proper powder coat finish, but as you say it is fashion. Pretty much every new car I see has diamond alloys.

I would argue that this wheel design is not fit for purpose if they are damaged so easily. Three of the wheels on my HRV developed this issue under the Clearcoat. I was glad to see the back of that car for many reasons, the wheels being one of them. My current RAV4 has diamond cut wheels but does not seem to have the Clearcoat and even a major 'kerbing' incident on one wheel and a replacement tyre on another has not caused the white worm.

The alloy on my trusty old 2005 Jazz SE were corroding badly on 3 of the 4 wheels and causing pressure leakage. I have replaced them with steel wheels in black and again I have no issues any more either.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »
Diamond cut wheels and rear disc brakes are more about showroom bling than practicality.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
Diamond cut wheels and rear disc brakes are more about showroom bling than practicality.

+1

Still got problems with the rear brakes on my wifes MK2 Si - there is a weird wear patterns on both rear discs  -  looks like another strip down job.

Her 'tatty' diamond cut 16" OEM white worm infested alloys are in our garage with her winter wheels,  I have fitted graphite colour 15" alloys and they look a lot better  on the car anyway.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:45:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »

+1

Still got problems with the rear brakes on my wifes MK2 Si - as well as weird wear patterns on both rear discs the OSR brake is dragging and I can feel heat of disc even after a short run,  looks like another strip down job.

Her 'tatty' diamond cut 16" OEM white worm infested alloys are in our garage with her winter wheels,  I have fitted graphite colour 15" alloys and they look a lot better  on the car anyway.

Bit the bullet and decided to take a look at rear brakes this morning before Sun got too high in the sky  :o. As I suspected the pad ears had corroded and pads not moving in caliper - only replaced pads and discs a couple of years ago with OEM Honda parts and had to file the ends of the ears to get them into caliper, and used plenty of Moly grease (they always need filing, why can't they make them correct size?). Because of weird wear pattern / corrosion on rear discs decided to fit the eicher discs and brembo pads (Euro car parts) and had to file about half a mm off end of each ear.   Not a happy bunny because the discs only been on two years and less than 10k.   Rear discs are a PITA and totally unsuited for use on small cars. Third set of discs and pads in about 50k, they have corroded away, not worn out.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Third set of discs and pads in about 50k, they have corroded away, not worn out.

Had this issue out with Honda UK and got nowhere.  Makes me wonder how many Jazz's are being driven around with ineffective rear brakes that won't get picked up in the first 3yrs and after that will only get picked up at MOT.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Third set of discs and pads in about 50k, they have corroded away, not worn out.

Had this issue out with Honda UK and got nowhere.  Makes me wonder how many Jazz's are being driven around with ineffective rear brakes that won't get picked up in the first 3yrs and after that will only get picked up at MOT.

Not really Honda's fault, it is caused by gentle driving meaning the rear brakes are hardly used. I have never had this common problem with any car, I can't think why. :-)

Seriously though, if you are a light brake user press the brake pedal hard for a few seconds while stopped in traffic. It will move the brake pads up to the discs and take up any slack in the calipers, sharpen up the brakes and improve the brake feel. This is why the brakes often feel better after a service when the brakes have not been any more than illuminated with a torch. An occasional hard braking from motorway speeds will do the brakes far more good than harm. If you don't use them they become a sized up lump of rust.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:39:18 PM by Skyrider »

Tags: