Author Topic: Grass cutting time.  (Read 1875 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Grass cutting time.
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
I took the opportunity of the good weather to give the grass its first cut of the year. I have a Qualcast mower fitted with a Briggs & Stratton 148cc engine, and what a gem of an engine it is. Despite having lain in the garage since last October it started second pull of the chord (first time it wasn't quite on compression). I did turn it over a few times, slowly, to circulate the oil and get a film on the bore, then checked the oil before trying to start it (after all it needs its spring maintenance!).
In the 4 years I have owned it, other than regularly checking the oil (never used a drop and still spotlessly clean), all I have done is washed and re-oiled the air filter element last autumn. I don't even change the petrol. Stuff that is in it just now is a year old (I use a gallon a year give or take a week or two).
A wonderful little engine (I believe it is a side valve, like my old Ford Prefect 100E).

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Grass cutting time.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
I took the opportunity of the good weather to give the grass its first cut of the year. I have a Qualcast mower fitted with a Briggs & Stratton 148cc engine, and what a gem of an engine it is. Despite having lain in the garage since last October it started second pull of the chord (first time it wasn't quite on compression). I did turn it over a few times, slowly, to circulate the oil and get a film on the bore, then checked the oil before trying to start it (after all it needs its spring maintenance!).
In the 4 years I have owned it, other than regularly checking the oil (never used a drop and still spotlessly clean), all I have done is washed and re-oiled the air filter element last autumn. I don't even change the petrol. Stuff that is in it just now is a year old (I use a gallon a year give or take a week or two).
A wonderful little engine (I believe it is a side valve, like my old Ford Prefect 100E).

The only problem I have had with Briggs and Stratton engines is that if you tilt the mower the wrong way when you want to look underneath oil can get from engine into carburetor (probably down crankcase breather tube) and when that happens engine won't start and a major cleanout is required. Engine should always be tilted towards dipstick which is normally at the end nearest the handle so only safe way is to push down the handle of mower and put a weight on it while you clean out grass or whatever.  After having the mower body rust apart after about 12 years on our last mower (B&S engine was still fine and used no oil) I got a Webb mower made out of ABS (not the engine though) a few years ago and all it needs is a wipe down, hopefully  mower will outlast the B&S engine now. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:54:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
I bought an Atco 25 years ago and had to replace it due to wear 4 years ago. Bought a lightweight Viking with single handle and B&S engine. No issues at all, cuts brilliantly and is quiet ( I hate noise)...Not cheap tho..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
After having the mower body rust apart after about 12 years on our last mower (B&S engine was still fine and used no oil) I got a Webb mower made out of ABS (not the engine though) a few years ago and all it needs is a wipe down, hopefully  mower will outlast the B&S engine now.

I wouldn't bank on it, mines 18 years old and the 5HP Briggs engine still goes like a good'un. The four wheel height adjuster linkages fell to bits once, and the exhaust guard fell off in the early days, but that's about it. The plastic deck has had it's fair share of bumps and scrapes, and it's starting to look a bit tired... but they take a lot more abuse than a pressed steel one.

Like Jocko, I wheel it out every spring, prime it, and it starts straight up.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:40:45 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »
Purely by chance I gave the grass the first cut of the year today, exactly a year (Saturday to Saturday) since last year. The mower has been lying in Mum's garage since last October. I dragged it out, checked the oil, added some petrol (bought last year), turned engine over slowly a couple of times (to circulate the oil), primed the carb, and it started first pull.
I have to be honest though, if you follow the starting instructions in the manual, you would be all day trying to get it to start. The manual says prime it 3 to 5 presses of the bulb. I give it 30, and usually about another 10 each time I stop and need to restart, during a mowing.
Great little engine though. The grass was wet and in some spots 2ft tall and the mower just ploughed through it.

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
The grass was wet and in some spots 2ft tall and the mower just ploughed through it.

You had me worried for a moment. I've been cutting grass since 22 Feb. My lawn mower (battery powered - not autonomous but does think it has a life of it's own) would not cut grass 2ft tall.   :(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
I have had to do a lot of work on our lawns just to get the green back after the pasting they took from sun last summer. they are exposed and face south and west so were burnt to within an inch of their life - have prepared the ground and re-seeded big areas,  Having to water them every evening was getting to be a pain but then the rain came and did the job for me. They are looking OK at the moment but can't really mow the reseeded areas yet so looks a bit messy, probably won't be back anywhere near normal till next year ( if they survive the coming summer ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
We have grass - not a lawn. It is more like a rough pasture. I just keep it short for Mum (though she is not able to enjoy it these days). The garden needs hours of work, but neither my wife or I are able to do a long stint, and as we just visit at the weekend, it is really just a case of keeping it below the window sills! The 8ft Box hedge is about 25 yards long, and takes the professional all day to cut. Could do with one of those tractors the roads department use for cutting hedges.

Tags:

anything