Author Topic: Are these prices fair?  (Read 1823 times)

guest7567

Are these prices fair?
« on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/39LKK

I know they're charging far too much for the rear brakes and discs but what sort of price should I look for and is the cost to replace the tires okay?

Also, can anyone tell me how long I could keep driving without needing to replace the tires and rear brakes?

Thanks!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Are these prices fair?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Prices are not that bad for tyres, do you have 15" or 16"  wheels ? (I'm guessing 15"  as 16" tyres are pretty pricey and it is a rare size).

Are you able to fits brake bits yourself ?

You can get rear discs for less than £40 each from  Eurocarparts or similar, and rear pads as well very cheap (rear brakes don't do much anyway).  I would go for better quality on front pads (and discs if they need replacing) as they do up to 80% of braking - but you can still get good prices. On some cars specially if your alloy wheels are very 'open' (big spaces between spokes) a lot of crap can get on the discs and calipers and cause rusting discs and problems,  steel wheels do protect the brake parts a lot better.   

As far as driving on tyres with 2mm of tread,  I would not do it as on wet roads they will aquaplane easily. 

Brake pads are an easier call as they will work as long as there is material present,  but should not really be used below 1.6mm (you may get a loud squealing around this figure as the 'alarm strip'  does its job and rubs on the disc, as material gets thinner there is a danger of pad steel backing rubbing on discs and tearing up the surface, this will definitely mean new pads and discs straight away).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:42:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Is that sheet from a Honda dealer?  The spectacularly mis-named Honda "Happiness" pricing for rear discs and pads is £290.

I got caught by this recently and I'm very sore about it - I thought there was a fault under warranty but the garage insisted it just needed new disc and pads.  The garage we use for another of our cars said they'd have been at least £100 less.

guest7567

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Is that sheet from a Honda dealer?  The spectacularly mis-named Honda "Happiness" pricing for rear discs and pads is £290.

I got caught by this recently and I'm very sore about it - I thought there was a fault under warranty but the garage insisted it just needed new disc and pads.  The garage we use for another of our cars said they'd have been at least £100 less.

It is a sheet from a Honda Dealer well spotted!

guest7567

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
Prices are not that bad for tyres, do you have 15" or 16"  wheels ? (I'm guessing 15"  as 16" tyres are pretty pricey and it is a rare size).

Are you able to fits brake bits yourself ?

You can get rear discs for less than £40 each from  Eurocarparts or similar, and rear pads as well very cheap (rear brakes don't do much anyway).  I would go for better quality on front pads (and discs if they need replacing) as they do up to 80% of braking - but you can still get good prices. On some cars specially if your alloy wheels are very 'open' (big spaces between spokes) a lot of crap can get on the discs and calipers and cause rusting discs and problems,  steel wheels do protect the brake parts a lot better.   

As far as driving on tyres with 2mm of tread,  I would not do it as on wet roads they will aquaplane easily. 

Brake pads are an easier call as they will work as long as there is material present,  but should not really be used below 1.6mm (you may get a loud squealing around this figure as the 'alarm strip'  does its job and rubs on the disc, as material gets thinner there is a danger of pad steel backing rubbing on discs and tearing up the surface, this will definitely mean new pads and discs straight away).

Many thanks!

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
he spectacularly mis-named Honda "Happiness" pricing for rear discs and pads is £290.

Thanks for the warning.  At the last dealer service I was told that the rear pads would need to be replaced next time.  I might get them done at KwikFit or somewhere cheaper.  The car is still under a 5 year warranty (and a 5 year service pack), but getting brakes replaced elsewhere won't jeopardise the warranty.

Tags:

anything