Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by culzean on November 17, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
Musk will go down as one of histories great showmen, how many more rabbits are in his oversized hat.

You know, what we need is a Monorail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Yeah, love the Simpsons, and that episode was typical of the hype that goes on..........
« Last post by culzean on November 17, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Musk deserves a lot of credit for pushing the boundaries, IMHO. Many of his concepts may seem wacky, but some of his plans labelled as loopy years ago are now reality.

It just goes to show how far you can actually get from a standing start, when you have conviction and a big pile of cash.

A big pile of other people's cash, they may even get a little bit of it back if they are very lucky and sell their shares before the house of cards falls down...........
I know my insurance renewal is not due until March 2018, but today thought I would check with one of the well known comparison websites to see what the latest quotes are.

I was again staggered to find that quotes varied from 583 up to 2125, mostly from companies I had never heard of.
What is going on? The cheapest quote at 583 is 100 more, than I paid last March.

OK, i'm turned 80 and have been driving for 63 years and probably covered well over 500,000 miles in that time, with never a major accident, in fact non that was my fault.

The most recent bump was November 2015 when someone ran in the back of me whilst I was stationary, again not my fault.
You may say,'well do did make claim'  Yes, but I have protected NCB, so future renewals should not be affected.

Two word spring to mind 'Rip & Off'.  Someone mentioned that the insurance group for an Mk3 EX has gone up.

Perhaps our Adrian Flux rep, might like to comment?

Regards Ken T

« Last post by sparky Paul on November 17, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
Musk deserves a lot of credit for pushing the boundaries, IMHO. Many of his concepts may seem wacky, but some of his plans labelled as loopy years ago are now reality.

It just goes to show how far you can actually get from a standing start, when you have conviction and a big pile of cash.
« Last post by richardfrost on November 17, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »
Musk will go down as one of histories great showmen, how many more rabbits are in his oversized hat.

You know, what we need is a Monorail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

« Last post by culzean on November 17, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »
Tesla finally announce its electric truck AND a new sports car.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/17/elon-musk-tesla-electric-truck-sports-car-surprise

Reckon he is just trying to keep the spotlight on his company to try to distract from the progress that
Detroit and other 'archaic' vehicle builders are making,  real progress and guess what,  they actually have
the skills to volume build their vehicles,  watch and learn big boy !!
Honda & Other Honda Models / Re: 2017 F1 seaons **contains race results**
« Last post by VicW on November 17, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
You'll be rooting for Torro Rosso next year, McClaren will be using Renault engines.

Vic.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Queensferry Crossing.
« Last post by Jocko on November 17, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Received the following email from Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors.

Lighting of the highway is not required over the full length of the bridge but is needed at each end to fulfil the requirement to light the carriageway within a safe distance from the start or finish of the slip road merge. This lighting on the bridge has been provided by low height lighting bollards for the following reasons:
Minimum risk to maintenance workers in the upkeep of the lanterns as there is no working at height from mobile elevated working platforms required to change or clean lanterns.
Reduction in light pollution and hence minimum intrusion on adjacent properties and World Heritage views.

The design of the lighting has recognised the apparent flicker that would be observed by vehicle occupants travelling past these lights at design road speeds. There is guidance within the British Standards that provides limits on flicker that are to be avoided to prevent visual discomfort. The design complies with these requirements in particular the duration over which the occupant observes flicker and frequency of the light pulses. The design and the arrangement has been reviewed by the independent Road Safety Auditor.

Additionally, the design was assessed against other international guidance and also clinical research papers into the frequency ranges that present a risk of photosensitive epileptic seizures; and found to be satisfactory. When travelling at 70mph or less, the frequency of flicker is outside the risk envelope defined in the studies. Further mitigation exists in that the light is directed downward and the flicker is only projecting into the periphery of vision of a driver. An existing installation was inspected to assess the impact of flicker and was considered to be less obtrusive than dimmed headlights in oncoming traffic on single carriageway roads.

Currently the brightness of the lighting cannot be controlled and they are at the brightest setting.  In the coming months, an Intelligent Light Control System will be installed which will be able to dim the lights taking into account local ambient light levels.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Something to look out for.
« Last post by peteo48 on November 17, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
Wow - amazing stuff.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: VW emissions scandel / French fall out of love with diesels
« Last post by culzean on November 17, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
There's an interesting BBC report which has unearthed that government knew about the diesel emission problems at the same time as encouraging people to buy diesel vehicles at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715.

Could also have been due to pressure from EU due to the main producers of Diesel cars being German and French, and it would have damaged their industry.   The dangers of asbestos were also known as early as 1920's but without anything to replace it the downsides were hushed up and many people died as a result.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10