Author Topic: Acceleration In First Gear  (Read 4498 times)

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
Re: Acceleration In First Gear
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2021, 03:58:43 PM »

The graph plots and traces start at 1000rpm, yet the Jazz Dsi has a very low idle of 500 rpm, extrapolate the traces down to 500 rpm and you can estimate quite low figures for torque at 500 rpm.  As rpm  increases from idling, torque grows rapidly, the  torque at 2000 rpm  is 400% of torque at 1000 rpm.
 Many other makes of cars idle at 800 rpm,  that Jazz 500 rpm idle speed  is possibly why drivers new to a Dsi tend to stall the engine on setting off, (I'm guilty of stalling  too), and the sense of missing bottom  end torque, applying throttle the engine has to build up more revs,   It used to be a benchmark for a carburettor aspirated engine, how you could turn down the idle speed  on the carburettor until the engine would not self-sustain, the lower the better the engine.

+1 yes My VTEC VFR was the same.

Plasma.

Never stalled any of our iDSi MK1's,  wish I could say the same for wifes present MK2 VTEC.  I always thought of the iDSi as a diesel that ran on petrol,  its low down tractability and 'lazy gear changes' were great.  Just as a comparison my brother had a Honda VFR750 ( non-VTEC carbed version ) and his mate had a newer VFR800 VTEC with injection,  his mate was always complaining about stalling the 800, so my bro suggested they swap bikes for a few miles,  my bro also stalled the 800,  but his mate was so impressed with the 750 ( 8 years older ) that he wanted to swap bikes with my bro., who politely declined....

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
I find my DSi throttle has no lag on depression but seems to delay on lift-off. When I lift off the throttle, the revs die slower than I would like.

+1 ,Yes I find the same thing.

Plasma.

Century21

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2022, 03:07:04 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but my current Mk3 is pretty sluggish to move away so have to get it into 2nd right away, as soon as I'm rolling.  In my previous two Mk1s they went off from a standing start like stabbed rats... voom!  I know the Jazz has a reputation as being a bit... slow, but sometimes it's silly

Tags:

anything