Author Topic: Honda Service Reminder System  (Read 5873 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Honda Service Reminder System
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
Does it take days AND miles into consideration? 75K miles over 8 years works out at 25 miles per day. Perhaps if you do more miles it adds that into the equation and evaluates accordingly. I might be totally of the beam here, but any service light I ever had on a vehicle, took mileage into consideration. Not days.

Ten minutes later.
Just had a read of the 2016 Fit manual, online. Are you sure it isn't telling you how many miles are left? Have you covered 10 miles since 140 days to 130 days? Are you sure they didn't change the transmission oil but didn't reset the counter? From what I have read in the manual you have to reset each of the codes individually.
Just throwing ideas out there.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
I think Jocko's answer (after 10 minutes) is probably correct.
I did read somewhere about the countdown being in days but maybe that was the pre-facelift GE or the Fit as mine is 100% indicated miles or else I have 3400 days till next service :) . I think maybe the counter wasn't reset properly.
I also don't think that changing the MTF is essential to do on the dot.
Anyone else here that has done it themselves And live on a hill.. It's a level plug for the gearbox oil, is there any good place to use a spirit level to check the car is level, taking so little oil it would be easy to be 10% out. I used the passenger side door sill to class as level, anyone else have a different area? As the level plug is on the side of the gearbox running the length of the car I reversed it up ramps on the front wheels to obtain a level on my sloping drive.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
If you look in the Owners manual is says the following:

If the remaining days are more than
30 days, the display will be changed
in increments of 10 days. When the
remaining days are under 30 days,
the display will be counted down per
day.

That will be why it jumped from 140 to 130 in 3 days, as it wasn't actually 140 days, but more like 133 but would only drop by whole 10's

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
Hi Steve, I did read this in the manual about the 10 day thing and I think your right, this does seem to add up.

Just thought it strange as I assumed when they reset it 3 days ago it would of been reset to a round number but in fairness I don't know how they actually reset them? Maybe they enter an actual date on reset.

The car computer is definitely working this out in days and not miles as it gives the sun/star icon next to the number which would mean days - don't think it shows this logo if it is set in miles. Also the days remaining do add up to when the transmission fluid is next due replacement in accordance to the service schedule in the manual.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
I do not have a service reminder in our Jazz, so I just do what is necessary as the book states at either time or mileage whichever comes first.
As Jocko mentions mileage might mean nothing if it takes you well beyond the time recommendation.
I have just had our I shift box fluid changed because 6 yrs had passed but at 55.000 well short of the mileage in the book. If I waited till the mileage was up it would be another 3 yrs.
The Ishift box is basically the same as a manual so if you are worried get it changed. 2 litres of Honda MTF 3 from Cox's at a little over £20 plus carriage and a nominal charge from my local garage to change it while it was in having an oil and filter change.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
I'm assuming the system will show either days or miles which ever it thinks will come first.

Given that the car has only done 46k miles in 7.5 years so just over 6k miles per annum on average, I think the computer is showing the days rather than miles as it knows its unlikely I will do 30k miles to hit the 75k mile interval before hitting the 8 year interval.

I suspect if I went and drove 30k miles in the next 2 weeks it would likely switch over to miles than days automatically?

This is purely a theory and I'm not certain that this is how it works but it would make sense?

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
So in short I think the answer to my query is a combination of;

Jocko's theory of taking miles and days into consideration

& Steve_m's manual extract of when it's counting in days it only reduces down by 10 day intervals until it his the last remaining 30 days and then it counts down day by day

Tags: