Author Topic: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure  (Read 151889 times)

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: Mk4 2021 Jazz Brake failure
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2024, 09:30:39 PM »
So if the premature failure of the brake simulator isnt a manufacturing defect then its therefore an engineering design failure .. arguably worse from hondas perspective as it makes them more liable .blaming the defect on the sub contractor who makes the part removes the stress from honda . Failures have occured at low mileages and no one has yet covered distances aporoaching 100k in a mark 4 jazz - it doesnt appear to be failure after x thousand presses of the brake pedal so nothing is wearing out as such .

Interestingly, the part is failing after under less duress than a standard cars braking system.. as we all know that the regen system allows you to drive smoothly WITHOUT using the brakes as much.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2024, 03:30:20 AM »
For me, the bottom line is that we have a defective part which is a ticking time bomb

Each day, as I approach 3 years of ownership, I go out to the car not knowing if I will be driving today

Honda, knowing the problem, should be fixing this

If the replacement cost was a few hundred then I doubt there would be as many complaints but when they want up to £3k it leaves a very nasty taste

This is also true about the 1 litre 2017/2018 Civic that has a pseudo rubber timing belt that runs in oil and is failing, either snapping or shredding prematurely often causing up to £16k worth of damage
Honda have issued a recall but the range of VIN does not cover all affected vehicles

Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2024, 09:12:43 AM »
So if the premature failure of the brake simulator isnt a manufacturing defect then its therefore an engineering design failure .. arguably worse from hondas perspective as it makes them more liable .blaming the defect on the sub contractor who makes the part removes the stress from honda . Failures have occured at low mileages and no one has yet covered distances aporoaching 100k in a mark 4 jazz - it doesnt appear to be failure after x thousand presses of the brake pedal so nothing is wearing out as such .

Interestingly, the part is failing after under less duress than a standard cars braking system.. as we all know that the regen system allows you to drive smoothly WITHOUT using the brakes as much.
Could it be that the part is more likely to fail with lack of use (eg like a/c) and is seizing up? It seems odd that low mileage cars seem to be affected.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2024, 09:23:38 AM »
My jazz replacement under bonnet wiring loom damaged by mice is £2700 for my insurance company so hi tech is expensive when it goes wrong …for whatever reason !

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz M4
« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2024, 12:46:15 PM »
Quote: Could it be that the part is more likely to fail with lack of use (eg like a/c) and is seizing up? It seems odd that low mileage cars seem to be affected. Unquote

The Brake operating simulator, manufactured btwn 2/7/18 n 15/9/22 by Keisan, have got excess oil in process, which in time seep into the circuit board corroding the pressure sensor inside. The corrosion occurs by time not by use unlike aircon. So, I think its a ticking time bomb for most of us but some lucky guys may escape from it. The affected Simulators are widely used in CR-V, HR-V, Jazz, etc you name it.

chicksee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2024, 01:45:16 PM »
Like many others, I’m concerned every time I get in the car now.
So far have had the passenger side wing mirror problem and front windscreen washer replaced.

Had Honda Jazz for many years now and all been super reliable, mine is a Crosstar 20 plate so would be interested if anyone else is so far trouble free.

Jinbeizame

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz M4
« Reply #306 on: May 05, 2024, 01:57:43 PM »

Many thanks for this link. For those interested a translation of the Japanese text on the image is attached. It seems that there is a software patch applied as well.
[/quote]
The software patch mentioned here is simply designed for the purpose of adding/including one more new error message to the list (which turns up in the monitor display in front of the driver) when the relevant fault occurs. This way the driver is clearly alerted what went wrong.  Because the replacement is in short supply, this is only done as makeshift measure for the convenience? of customers in long wait. Honda dealers in Japan are performing this on request B4 the correct Simulators arrive.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #307 on: May 05, 2024, 02:52:19 PM »
The Brake operating simulator, manufactured btwn 2/7/18 n 15/9/22 by Keisan, have got excess oil in process, which in time seep into the circuit board corroding the pressure sensor inside. The corrosion occurs by time not by use unlike aircon. So, I think its a ticking time bomb for most of us but some lucky guys may escape from it. The affected Simulators are widely used in CR-V, HR-V, Jazz, etc you name it.
Fortunately, my 22 HR-V has a 5 year warranty.

I think that one way Honda can do some reputation damage control is by, as a matter of urgency, announcing a retrospective warranty extension to 5 years for all the EVs and e:HEV vehicles that use this part.

I wonder if there's also potential for refurbishment of the affected module so that all the problem parts that are removed from vehicles are refurbished and then used as replacements for more of the problem modules.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2024, 06:04:20 PM »
Like many others, I’m concerned every time I get in the car now.
So far have had the passenger side wing mirror problem and front windscreen washer replaced.

Had Honda Jazz for many years now and all been super reliable, mine is a Crosstar 20 plate so would be interested if anyone else is so far trouble free.
I changed my 70 plate Crosstar a couple of weeks ago, had brake fluid replaced last August and brakes were fine when I p/ex it. Didn't affect the trade in price.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 06:05:59 PM by Bristol_Crosstar »

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2024, 08:49:29 PM »
I had my passenger side door mirror replaced. (The dealer said they had replaced a few.  I don't know if its always the passenger one.)  The passenger windscreen washer started to squirt too low down.  The dealer said it couldn't be adjusted, but they did something that fixed it.

The blank or cover for  the towing  eye came out a number of times.  I haven't had it replaced.  I have wedged it in, but it isn't flush, so I will ask them to replace it when I get it serviced in September.  They should do it under warranty,  as they have said they have had to replace a few when I mentioned it to  them.

pauly58

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
« Reply #310 on: Today at 01:42:23 PM »
Off topic I know, our a/c packed up, apparently it's a leak at the condenser, Honda build quality isn't what it was.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #311 on: Today at 06:07:53 PM »
Off topic I know, our a/c packed up, apparently it's a leak at the condenser, Honda build quality isn't what it was.
I had the same thing on my Crosstar last summer, replaced under warranty but it took several months to get the part.

Tags: