Author Topic: i-DSI vs i-VTEC  (Read 19539 times)

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: i-DSI vs i-VTEC
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
Hi all
I've only owned a 1.2 i-vtec and unless I'm in a mood (sorry hurry) I rarely go over 3000 revs because I don't need to.
I drive in 4th in 20mph zones, in 5th in 30mph zones and tend to keep to 3000 rpm on motorways for hours on end.
I'm not disagreeing regarding the DSi 1.2 as the car I bought for my son was a 2008 version, manual and the test drive I did was good fun.

However I feel the i-vtec is quite suitable for me, work commute of 17 miles along mostly the A46 in the countryside, trips to Cheltenham can be stop start for much of it (another 17 miles) and trips to London, Liverpool, York etc for work all happily undertaken.

I like the i-vtec but really its a personal preference, whichever you get I'm sure you'll be happy enough.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »
Oh the Magic Seats; worth buying a Jazz for that alone. Incredibly useful!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
I've only owned a 1.2 i-vtec and unless I'm in a mood (sorry hurry) I rarely go over 3000 revs because I don't need to.
I drive in 4th in 20mph zones, in 5th in 30mph zones and tend to keep to 3000 rpm on motorways for hours on end.
Snap, with my 1.2 i-DSi.

guest7502

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Having been to see a couple at garages, I'd really advise a preference for finding a decent private buy. I went to look at one at the weekend and the engine was piping hot, it had scuffed wheels that had been painted over, and a brand new number plate and some very new looking panels - I suspect it had been crashed. Potentially sitting around and they started it up just in case, but I walked away.

Problem is with private sale it is a case of 'sold as seen' and no legal comeback without taking private action via small claims court, once the seller has your money it's bye-bye.   Caveat Emptor.  Personally I have always used reputable dealers, Either Brindley Honda or J T Hughes in our neck of the woods,  I know it costs you more but you do have a lot of backup and legal protection.

It depends how much you have to spend/lose! I'm always after cheaper second hand cars, unfortunately, so have to take the risk. But, I've had some good luck by following one simple rule: could I have a beer/coffee with the seller? If not, then maybe not the best person to buy a car from.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »
How's the performance for longer car journeys? We are looking to use it for road tripping around the UK as well.
The CVT is better than the manual gearbox for cruising as the top end of the gear ratios is higher. The Mk. 2 Jazz CVT engine ticks over at around 2,000 rpm at 60 mph (but will add more revs when it comes to a hill). Overall, the low cruising revs provde a less tiring journey. I'll leave others to comment on how the Mk. 1 Jazz CVT behaves in this respect.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
The earlier CVT did about 25mph/1000rpm so about 2500 revs at 60mph. The manual versions are about 22mph/1000rpm.

Vic.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »
Sept 1958 Jazz SE CVT? Think you mean 2008 Vic!
Mike.

Yup, a typo. In 1958 I was a biker although I had passed my car test too. I think I was in the BSA Gold Star phase.

Vic.

guest7502

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
Slightly off-topic but with the mention of the magic seats - can you fit an adult bike in the back without removing the front wheel?

I used to have a Mk1 fabia and it was just about doable - but with a lot of fudging. A focus is much better and I assumed the Jazz would be... but I've noticed they are more Fiesta sized (but with a clever interior to compensate).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
Slightly off-topic but with the mention of the magic seats - can you fit an adult bike in the back without removing the front wheel?

I used to have a Mk1 fabia and it was just about doable - but with a lot of fudging. A focus is much better and I assumed the Jazz would be... but I've noticed they are more Fiesta sized (but with a clever interior to compensate).

May look Fiesta sized but more usable space than a Focus,  in fact the Jazz is a proper Tardis, if Dr Who had a car it would be a Jazz.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=127
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:38:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
Quote "Slightly off-topic but with the mention of the magic seats - can you fit an adult bike in the back without removing the front wheel"?

I can only answer "I do" with a mountain bike

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »
Firstly Congratulations! Is it your first (baby not Jazz!) if so then the Jazz is a great choice.

It has iso-fix rear seats and the doors open almost 90° making it much easier than some other cars to get a baby seat in. There is tonnes of room in the boot and it genuinely always surprises me how much it fits (!) exceptionally handy when you have the babies entourage of stuff to take with you.

I personally find it very good for long journeys aswell, I got mine solely as a commuter car which takes me 150 miles every day (yes seriously!)  I frequently get caught in traffic, and have had a few 4 hour journeys, yet to get a numb bum! It’s very roomy so it doesn’t get clostorophobic.  I have the 1.4 ivtec, im happy with the mpg I get. The biggest difference you can make is your style of driving.  The 1.4 is poky, no problem over taking whatsoever, but remember that the Vtec is an entity that likes being revved hard to get the most out of it. Always drop a gear (or 2) to put you back into the vtec cam for climbing a hill etc.

I got the ex model, for the cruise control and arm rest and air con. Essentials when you spend half you life driving!! 

guest7502

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
Quote "Slightly off-topic but with the mention of the magic seats - can you fit an adult bike in the back without removing the front wheel"?

I can only answer "I do" with a mountain bike

Excellent, thanks! If only there were more for sale in my price range £3500 and near Cambridge. I'm fussy though, I want a MKII 1.4 manual in a non-hideous colour. Black or Grey ideally.

guest7502

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »

May look Fiesta sized but more usable space than a Focus,  in fact the Jazz is a proper Tardis, if Dr Who had a car it would be a Jazz.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=127

Really, even the MK2 focus? My brother had that car and the boot was huge! The magic seats do make a large space though so makes sense! I shall keep shopping. Currently carless after my MK1 Fabia decided to die after flying through an MOT.

Geertz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
My wife wanted a newer car so i-VTEC it is!

His_name_is_robertpaulson

• Approved Member
  • Area left blank intentionally. Like the user.
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2022, 09:02:09 PM »
My wife wanted a newer car so i-VTEC it is!

Can I ask how ownership has been? Looking at the same option. Dsi or ivtec?

Tags: