Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 771690 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2626 on: January 13, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
Scaremongering at its best. All they need do is enlarge the bays (so that standard-shaped human beings can get in and out of their cars without having to be contortionists) and that will reduce the loading. Oh but hold on a minute. That might cost them revenue. Well, we will just have to let them fall down then.
And for a bit of clarity. The heaviest Tesla Model 3 is only 14% heavier than the lightest Honda CR-V.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2627 on: January 13, 2023, 06:39:37 PM »
Around 1900 my great-grandfather's horses did many many miles on a small bag of oats, which cost him hardly anything, because he grew it himself.

Oh, sorry, this also belongs in a history book...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2628 on: January 13, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »
..... and just to add to the list of potential problems :

Weight of electric vehicles could cause 'catastrophic' damage and 'lead to car parks collapsing'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/weight-of-electric-vehicles-could-cause-catastrophic-damage-and-lead-to-car-parks-collapsing/ar-AA15p3NF#:~:text=Feedback-,Weight%20of%20electric%20vehicles%20could%20cause%20%27catastrophic%27%20damage%20and%20%27,lead%20to%20car%20parks%20collapsing%27&text=Multi%2Dstorey%20and%20underground%20car,electric%20vehicles%2C%20engineers%20have%20warned.

According to Parker’s website, the Mk4 EX e-hev Jazz is only 12% (134kg) heavier, than the previous MK3 EX Jazz , hardly a catastrophic increase!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2629 on: January 13, 2023, 10:08:28 PM »
Around 1900 my great-grandfather's horses did many many miles on a small bag of oats, which cost him hardly anything, because he grew it himself.
And horses, as a form of travel, were replaced by the automobile almost overnight. Without government legislation.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:11:30 PM by Jocko »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2630 on: January 13, 2023, 10:53:49 PM »
Tesla has now dropped the price of new vehicles https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64266471 which will push the cost of second hand ones down another notch. Those who have just taken delivery of a new Tesla aren't happy!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2631 on: January 15, 2023, 03:00:20 PM »
Scaremongering at its best. All they need do is enlarge the bays (so that standard-shaped human beings can get in and out of their cars without having to be contortionists) and that will reduce the loading. Oh but hold on a minute. That might cost them revenue. Well, we will just have to let them fall down then.
And for a bit of clarity. The heaviest Tesla Model 3 is only 14% heavier than the lightest Honda CR-V.
Scaremongering for buyers.  But it is something architects and civil engineers have to consider.  Many EV's weigh over 2tonnes  some nearly 3 tonnes  and a few over 4 tonnes. A loading safe for standard cars, typically 1.2 tonnes , may  be dangerous if there is a concentration of EV's.  A few shoddy multistories may have to close or be  renovated, or parking spaces reduced. .   I know of one multi-storey that installed about 20 charging points  in  a row.     

There is a bridge near me where a 10 ton vehicle fell through the bridge into the river.  OK it was in 1914 and it was a traction engine,  but too heavy is too heavy. possibly only 3 ev's worth.   (even within my memory the bridge had an "Unsuitable for charabancs" sign )     Maybe there will soon be "only one EV allowed at a time " signs  ;D   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:07:49 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2632 on: January 15, 2023, 04:14:11 PM »
But it is something architects and civil engineers have to consider.
Without a doubt. There are already many bridges with weight limits and perhaps, as you say, they will have to limit the number of vehicles allowed to cross at a time.
What EV weighs over 4 tonnes?
The heaviest car on the list of almost 70 EVs is the Mercedes-Benz EQV luxury passenger van, which is not far from 3,000 kg. 3 tonnes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:16:24 PM by Jocko »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2633 on: January 15, 2023, 04:33:49 PM »
The heaviest car on the list of almost 70 EVs is the Mercedes-Benz EQV luxury passenger van, which is not far from 3,000 kg. 3 tonnes.

Put 5 sturdy, well-fed, obese American (sorry, not only American) persons in that Mercedes and there you are. And then we are not even mentioning the fact that there is room for 8 people... ???

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:18:48 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2634 on: January 15, 2023, 05:33:10 PM »

GMC Hummer      the lightest is 4100 kg  the heaviest  4282 kg.      Maybe not common  in the UK (wont they need to ensure they have  a 7.5 tonne driving licence?)   but if the Hummer enthusiast  club  have a club meeting , maybe they will all end up in a river.   ;D  Full of fatties that could be 5 tonne each. I wonder if they would obey a  3.5 tonne weight limit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:48:14 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2635 on: January 15, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
As there are only 137 General Motors vehicles registered on UK roads I would assume that Humvee EVs are a very small percentage but I grant you, it does weigh over 4 tonnes, half as much again as a standard Humvee.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2636 on: January 16, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
Heavy cars and snow and ice are NOT easy to control. See U Tube videos.
Most EVs have tyres optimised for fuel consumption so us in bad conditions.

I expect EV car prices to fall - lots more to come. 30% and I will think of buying (used  not new)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2637 on: January 17, 2023, 01:56:54 PM »
While at the supermarket just now I noticed a vehicle recharging at one of the provided charging points. The connection cable was still semi coiled and laid across a pedestrian walkway. I was wondering who would be legally responsible for injuries caused by a pedestrian tripping up on the cable. In a situation where a trip hazard is in a public area the person causing the hazard has to be responsible for safety of the public. In the past when I had to lay a cable across the footway to charge the battery of my old Land Rover that lived on the street I put rubber car mats over the cable to try to be safe. If I was taken to court I could point out that I had taken steps to make the situation as safe as possible. I would do the same thing again if I had to charge the batteries of an EV.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2638 on: January 17, 2023, 02:33:17 PM »
I can see trip hazard wires being in every street as EV increases and fuel declines.

I can also see many copper cables being cut and/or stolen overnight.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2639 on: January 17, 2023, 02:41:03 PM »
 VW currently (excuse pun) have a series of humorous  ident adverts   where they are sponsoring the TV programme.    There is one where an old woman unplugs their  EV  ,throws the lead on the ground  with contempt,  then plugs her own car in. 

The humour is they were prevented from carrying out things  such covert hi tech surveillance, Energising Frankenstein's monster, torturing someone with electrodes etc.  I dont expect to do any of these things for a while, but the ads certainly dont encourage me to buy an EV. :P 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:44:56 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags:

anything