Author Topic: Keeping within the 20mph limit Wales!  (Read 12819 times)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Keeping within the 20mph limit Wales!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 11:04:21 AM »
A few years ago a 20 IS PLENTY scheme was introduced in the streets arounf a scholl are where I lived.

The only people i saw disregarding this limit was people taking their kids to school!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 08:42:05 PM »
Perhaps one of the reasons for dropping the default urban speed limit to 20mph is to discourage sat-navs from short-cutting through towns and villages because the calculated journey times for such routes will increase. I personally want a sat-nav option to input my maximum speed at 60mph so I'm not routed onto potentially faster roads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 10:06:27 AM »
Perhaps one of the reasons for dropping the default urban speed limit to 20mph is to discourage sat-navs from short-cutting through towns and villages because the calculated journey times for such routes will increase. I personally want a sat-nav option to input my maximum speed at 60mph so I'm not routed onto potentially faster roads.
The Garmin system  in the car seems to  use more  short cut  ' rat runs' than my  standalone Garmin does.  And they dont always save time or distance.

Setting preferences to exclude  motorways can sometimes avoid faster roads, but may still include 70 mph dual carriageways.   If I have time I will often set the route as a trip, where you can add one or more via points (waypoints) to ensure it uses the route and roads you want.  But it can be time consuming . Sometimes one via point is enough, but you may need several to ensure it doesnt still find faster routes between them.
 One downside is if there is a diversion due to a road closure  it may take you miles out of your way trying to reach a  via point you dont actually need to visit. (Until i learned how to quickly  cancel 'next via point'  :-[ )   You also have to be very accurate when placing your waypoint marker tag. If you place it on the wrong carriageway of a dual carriagway/motorway , or off to the  side of a main road  it may take you miles trying to get to the exact spot you tagged. Again needing a quick cancellation. 

You can also  set a specified avoidance zone to avoid a particular road, town or village  , although I have never used this facility.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:45:29 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 10:44:20 AM »
The present furore is entirely media driven and reminds me of the stupid comments when compulsory seat belts were introduced, they look pretty stupid nowadays when no-one with any sense would argue we do away with seat belts after the proven death and injury statistics.

Best comment I ever heard about seat belts was the transplant surgeons complaining that the supply of organs was reduced as more people were surviving crashes!! :o
So the law of unintended consequences is not a new thing after all.

Tags:

anything