Author Topic: Windscreen washer jets-suitable for DIY replacement?  (Read 5066 times)

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
Windscreen washer jets-suitable for DIY replacement?
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Two months ago, at a service, I asked the Honda dealer to fix a windscreen washer jet. It didn't.  At yesterday's MOT I again asked the dealer to fix it.  When I collected the car, the dealer said that I need a new jet.  (The car still passed the MOT.)  It would cost £69 (including labour).  They would have to order the part.  I would need to take a day off work.

I see that Halfords sell a washer jet and you can also buy them online.  I could buy one and give it a try.
However,on the Jazz washer jets are recessed into a hole in plastic below the windscreen.  One from Halfords or online would probably not fit in the hole and I have no idea how you would get the existing one out and a new one in.

Has anyone any ideas?  Thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Windscreen washer jets-suitable for DIY replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
Two months ago, at a service, I asked the Honda dealer to fix a windscreen washer jet. It didn't.  At yesterday's MOT I again asked the dealer to fix it.  When I collected the car, the dealer said that I need a new jet.  (The car still passed the MOT.)  It would cost £69 (including labour).  They would have to order the part.  I would need to take a day off work.

I see that Halfords sell a washer jet and you can also buy them online.  I could buy one and give it a try.
However,on the Jazz washer jets are recessed into a hole in plastic below the windscreen.  One from Halfords or online would probably not fit in the hole and I have no idea how you would get the existing one out and a new one in.

Has anyone any ideas?  Thanks.

I changed the similar ones to Jazz on my Civic to Halfords ones.  The original Honda 'full width spray ones' that were fitted into the scuttle were a bit pants as they used far too much liquid and I was forever topping reservoir up and they were too low and a lot of the spray hit the wiper arms if they were parked (and they normally are  when you spray screen before turning wipers on so that wipers don't get a dirty dry screen to rub against).

The ones I fitted had 'twin jet' in each one and work fine,  it meant drilling a 5 or 6mm hole through plastic and re-routing pipes very slightly under the scuttle, so if you don't want to do that  you may be better to stick with OEM ones). I think the ones I fitted look like little owl heads poking out of plastic scuttle, the original Honda ones sit immediately below new ones.

A PDF photo is attached
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:49:53 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Thanks Culzean,

I don't fancy drilling.  I have found OEM ones for sale online.  Do you know if fitting these is straightforward for a normal person?  (I don't know how the defective one comes out of its hole.)

Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
Maybe, once you get the new ones, they will give you a clue how to remove the old ones. Could be a sacrificial clip of some kind.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
What is wrong with jet,  a faulty spray pattern can be caused by damage ( but how would a recessed jet get damaged ) and also by blockage by dirt or limescale in the water used to mix with your screenwash (if you live in a limescale area - do you have limescale in your kettle and have to descale it regularly ? ). The same way your bathroom shower head blocks up - you can try washing machine descaler (should use organic acids and be OK with metals and plastic ) or even white vinegar in washer bottle (will smell a bit but window cleaners use it to get sparkling glass as it deals with the calcium in water to stop it streaking glass).

For a start try to put a bit of flexible tube over the part of jet you can see and blow air down it with your mouth,  this can help to dislodge any dirt.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:50:54 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, I live in a very hard water area.I will look into the limescale issue.

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
Should this be covered by the Honda Warranty?  (I paid extra on purchase for a five year warranty.)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Should this be covered by the Honda Warranty?  (I paid extra on purchase for a five year warranty.)

Good luck with that claim !!

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »
Don't you think that it should be covered? 

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »
I think lime scale would not qualify for a warranty  replacement. I would suggest that you use demineralised water for the washers. I have a dehumidifier in an outhouse which produces demineralised water on a regular basis which is used in our steam iron and screen washer reservoir. I've seen 20 litre containers for around £12,50 - probably cheaper than new jet nozzles.

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
I raised this at a recent service.  It was replaced under warranty.  Otherwise, the cost would have been £70.

Tags:

anything