Author Topic: binding wheel  (Read 2379 times)

alfy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 sport cvt
binding wheel
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »
Hi all
Driving my car today. It felt  sluggish, then I smelt burning, stopped the car. Could see heat marks and smoke from front passenger side brake disc. Got the car towed home, jacked the car up, no free play in the wheel bearings, car passed its MOT 4 days ago, so no issues reported. Both front wheels move the same when spinning by hand, both bind the same.  I suspect the front brake caliper. New front discs and pads fitted last year. Will take off wheel in the morning and confirm whether its the brake caliper.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: binding wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
It could just be that the lugs on each end of the pads are binding in their slots,  I normally have to file metal off these when I am fitting new pads. The lugs should have a bit of clearance trouble is that because the backing plates are punched out of sheet steel the sides of lugs have taper on them that makes them bigger than they should be.

Trouble is if the brakes have got that hot the seals and fluid may be damaged.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:01:41 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

alfy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »
I put in new discs and pads last year, have reserved two new front calipers from the local car shop. Will take off wheel and  confirm its caliper in the morning. Can the abs pump cause this problem?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
what i think you will find like you say having had the brake discs and pads recently replaced is that in some cases where the mechanic has been say a bit enthusiastic in pushing the pistons back into the caliper, the piston seal is slightly damaged but it doesn't show straight away but in time, it can cause the brakes to stick on as you are finding now. New calipers will sort it out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
what i think you will find like you say having had the brake discs and pads recently replaced is that in some cases where the mechanic has been say a bit enthusiastic in pushing the pistons back into the caliper, the piston seal is slightly damaged but it doesn't show straight away but in time, it can cause the brakes to stick on as you are finding now. New calipers will sort it out.

With disc brakes the pads always rub to some extent (there are no springs to positively pull pistons back like there are on drum brakes) it is when either the piston or the pad sticks that things really get hot,  I had a hot rear brake recently and it was just the lug on pad binding a bit,  half an hour and a file cured it (lugs may be free to move when pads are first fitted but a little bit of rust can cause lug to 'grow' and bind).  It is strange,  but not unknown for two brakes to be affected (but if they both had pads fitted recently by same garage that may be why),  with twin circuit brakes both front wheels would not be on same hydraulic circuit as they are normally linked diagonally - one front and one rear brake on each circuit.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

alfy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
Sorted, I replaced both front calipers, filed the lugs on the pads, pads are Honda pads and lubricated the guide pins, the guide pins were dry and  not moving freely on inspection.  Did bleed front calipers. Wheels now move freely, fuel consumption has improved. As both wheels were binding on inspection, I suspect the guide pins, even though they were lubricated just over a year ago with silicone grease.
Thanks all for advice.

Tags: