Author Topic: Air box screws  (Read 1601 times)

sentra

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2002 1.4SE
Air box screws
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
Hi, does anyone know what type of screws the early Jazz used on the air box ?
As mine are quite stripped, I was looking to replace all six.

https://storage.googleapis.com/pfk-megabucket-730/HPL/Images_car/17SAA01/IMGE/B__0100.jpg

Number 17
Thank You.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Air box screws
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »
The lid for my GD5 just clips on. They will be 4 or 5 mm. Just measure one for diameter and length below the head. Amazon usually sell that sort of item.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Mine went rusty and a couple were a bit chewed up in the philips head (one terminally) so swapped them for stainless from the spares box.   Just a regular metric thread, the original has a square nut underneath but a regular hex nut also fits in the slot.  Can't quite remember but probably M5 as above, length not too important.

If yours have gone beyond saving and you can't undo it, cut a small slot in the retaining plastic to remove the nut/screw combo - the replacement will still do the job. 

Edit: Actually I drilled out the head in order to remove the airbox lid, then was able to get mole grips onto the thread to remove the bad screw.   The previous service people (JCT600) had not changed the filter because it was the same one I had put in at my diy interim service (dated with a black marker).  My assumption is they chewed up the head, kept quiet and gave up.  I had maybe over tightened it, it really only needs enough torque to stop it rattling loose.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
Mine went rusty and a couple were a bit chewed up in the philips head (one terminally)
--
TG

Still too many standards around for X head screw shapes,  use the wrong shape / angle driver and it will soon wreck the head of the screw.  X head screws were introduced so that power drivers could be used on production lines and 'self-centre' the driver bit,  but IMHO torx heads and bits are better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: