Author Topic: Aftermarket headlights  (Read 2346 times)

guest6582

Aftermarket headlights
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at getting a new headlight assembly for some time now but can only find the OEM type for my GD5, I have however found on eBay a version, which I quite like, but it states for 08 - 11... will it fit the GD5?

Does anyone have expertise or can point me in the correct direction to find similar styles, I'm bored of the OEM look because it's quite bulky and plain.

This is the eBay part I found;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Jazz-Fitt-08-11-Angel-Eye-Projector-Headlights-PAIR-NEW-/272182272709?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz&hash=item3f5f53e2c5:g:RX8AAOSwxN5WXvBv

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Aftermarket headlights
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
As you can see from this composite image, there is a considerable difference in shape between the headlights of a 2005 and 2010 Jazz.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
They are quite different, you will need < 08 GD headlights, for example the headlight plug is accessed from the wheel arch on a GD but via the engine bay on a GE.  One other thing, OEM RHD and LHD headlight units have different part codes, whether they have any material difference is not clear, I'd suggest you import from Japan rather than the US to be sure.  In addition the US Fit lack the headlamp levelling motor required in the UK.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
After checking your link, "These lights are not E Mark approved." means you would have to swap the lights before and after every MOT and trust your car never needed to be scrutinised by an insurance assessor or other authority figure.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
In addition the US Fit lack the headlamp levelling motor required in the UK.
The levelling motor is not a legal requirement in the UK. It is not checked at an MOT.
The M.O.T. Inspection Manual Issue Date March 2016
Where driver’s beam aim controls are fitted the beam aim should be tested without altering the control setting except where this would result in failure for beam aim being too low. In such cases the beam aim should be re-checked with the control set at its ‘highest’ position. (my italics)

guest6582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
Thank you for clearing it up for me! Guess I'll just have to make do with the OEM look for now.
However... Do you know of any trustworthy sources for <08 headlights of different styles?

Tags: