Author Topic: Loss of power  (Read 4598 times)

guest4184

Loss of power
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Hi Everyone

I have a 2005 Jazz and I have an intermittant loss of power.   It doesn't matter which speed I am travelling at, the car suddenly jolts and I lose all power and the engine light comes on.

Once i have pulled over I can restart the engine straight away and it is fine....but the engine light stays on for a couple of days.

I have a code reader which my son in law (mechanic) said it was the throttle body.  I have had this replaced but the problem is still there. Has anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Loss of power
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
Loads of threads on here about a similar problem of an intermittent broken wire near the drivers door. One of the lads on here will know which one. :)

They should be on later. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Loads of threads on here about a similar problem of an intermittent broken wire near the drivers door. One of the lads on here will know which one. :)

They should be on later. :)

TG is your man

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8266.msg41198#msg41198
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:07:21 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »
This is a fault that seems to affect 2004/05 cars.  Throttle body is where the fault is noticed, but as helpfully pointed out above it is one of the wires leading to it that has a tiny intermittent break in it.  A bit awkward to reach, you can remove the air intake box to get better access but the fix itself is pretty simple by just cutting and splicing the wire.  It is usually the yellow/green at the point where it joins the larger conduit and takes a 90° turn, but could be one of the others or in a different place.  Sometimes it may seem fixed after a trip to a garage but that is just because the wiring loom has been moved about a bit and continuity has been restored.

A possible test is to wiggle the conduit when holding the throttle at a constant rpm, the wire is connected to the bottom of the throttle body - the upper connection is not related.

This thread probably has the most complete answer. https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8695

The engine light will self extinguish if the ECM receives a long enough sequence of valid readings.
--
TG
(I don't hold a monopoly on this info, anyone is welcome to quote or repeat it)

guest4184

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied.  Will try what you have suggested and look into the other links for threads you have given  :)

Tags:

anything