Author Topic: 2002 Jazz Replaced with 2006 Jazz  (Read 1962 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
2002 Jazz Replaced with 2006 Jazz
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
During the last five years everything went generally very well indeed with the old 2002 Jazz (AKA Smurf – it was blue).

I bought it for my son’s mum when he was just a baby as her Peugeot 106 wasn’t big enough and only had the three doors.

Over the past 5 years, she had been really impressed with the Jazz, almost to the point that she didn’t want to get another car, even although signs of tin worm were starting to become evident.

It was bought with around 80k miles on the clock and was sold at 130k. Everything still worked perfectly.

We’d changed the condenser for the AC, put a full exhaust on, then a couple of months back it needed another back box which was around £30 including postage on eBay. Didn’t take long to fit myself either.

I also upgraded the stereo unit to the newer CD player and constructed a homemade aux in cable thanks to the guide on here.

The car has now been replaced with a…yes you’ve guess it, another Honda Jazz but this time it’s the slightly facelifted version on a 56 plate (December 2006) and it’s honestly like a new car with only 30k miles on the clock.

I’m not sure what the new one is called yet (it’s black) but it feels very tight compared to the old one.

Had full service history and was regularly serviced by the elderly owner every year (from Corstorphine in Edinburgh) who was giving up driving at the age of 93. What a lovely old lady and a very well kept car. It was being sold by her son and step daughter on her behalf. She was really pleased to see it going to a new enthusiastic owner that really appreciated the model.

Our son was not impressed at first but has now given his approval for the car.

He actually cried when the new owners drove off in the old one. It went to an older couple in Peebles. Which is actually where the car came from in the first place.

The only thing that’s different about the new car in a negative sense is that it seems to be only getting around 50MPG compared to the old one which would get 55 easily and over 60MPG if feathering the throttle.

I’m wondering if it’s the tighter engine or just because it was more used to shorter journeys in town and the ECU needs to learn the new driving habits?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: 2002 Jazz Replaced with 2006 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Forgot to say, it had the usual problem of letting water into the boot from the joint at the top of the rear hatch. A liberal coating of Poundland black paint soon had that sorted out!
The car came with parking sensors in the rear and it appears that the drip got into the box which was in the spare wheel well. Silly bloody place for them to put it but I guess they didn’t know about the watering system on the Honda Jazz that comes as standard!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
50 mpg, until you get used to it, doesn't sound too far off the mark.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
Yes 50 MPG is still very reasonable and it might simply be the old gauge was overly optimistic?

I used to enjoy beating the latest "high score" on the fuel economy meter.

73.1MPG was the highest score in the old one. :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
My gauge is fairly good, but I only go by the calculated mpg at top up. Even my ScanGauge E is just an indication. You have to do the maths.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »
Good choice of new Jazz - as regards the mpg I'd just check on the condition of the air fliter, if mucky then change - a 5 min task.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
I'll double check the air-filter again but I did pop it up when checking the car over and it looked as new (on the upper side), this was confirmed in the December service receipts as well.

Tags: