Author Topic: engine oil  (Read 12624 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
engine oil
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
hi guys i wondered if any one as tried the new mobil 1 0w/40 oil.in there jazzs i was going to get the oil while it was on offer at £ 35 for 5liters.i just wonderred if its ok for  the jazz dave.

guest5589

Re: engine oil
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:26:24 PM »
hi guys i wondered if any one as tried the new mobil 1 0w/40 oil.in there jazzs i was going to get the oil while it was on offer at £ 35 for 5liters.i just wonderred if its ok for  the jazz dave.

0W40 should be fine to use. According to the service book 0W20, 0W30, 0W40 or 5W30, 5W40 are all suitable.
http://hondakarma.com/guides/recommended-lubricants-and-fluids.79/

One thing.. how many miles has your car done? If its above 100,000miles people tend to stick to 5W as 0W is a bit thin and burns up a little quickly in older engines.

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
thank you for that information legend-ary the mileage of my car is 35,000

guest5589

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »
thank you for that information legend-ary the mileage of my car is 35,000

0W40 should be just fine

guest5168

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
waste of £? £12 synthetic oil from eurocarparts/carparts4less will do the same job...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
waste of £? £12 synthetic oil from eurocarparts/carparts4less will do the same job...

one thing I have learned in life is never cut costs on engine or gearbox oil - buying 4 litres of oil for under £15 may not be the bargain it seems,  and £25 over 12 months is about 50pence a week, you can get Castrol Magnatec or similar branded 5W-30 synthetic for that.  I know the price of crude oil has dropped recently,  but not that much.

I know someone who had his Golf GTi engine rebuilt and then put nasty supermarket special oil in it DOOHHHHH (cost him about £10),  engine seized a few days later,  may have been his driving style,  but who can tell  :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
I agree, I use Royal Purple 5w 30 full synthetic and its not cheap... but on the up side it doesn't use any oil and the oil always appears clean..  before that I was running Castrol Edge. 215,000km.
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »
Anyone who know the Mannol oils? From the very little users information on the internet i read it is a good German oil with a nice price. We drive 7000 miles a year and oil (+ filter) will be changed once a year.

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »
mobil 1 0w/40 oil.in there jazzs i was going to get the oil while it was on offer at £ 35 for 5liters
Great oil & great price, have it in mine only because we get it free* but it's overkill really.
Pretty much any synth or semi-synth 0/5/10 > 30/40w low saps oil will do.

What do you plan on doing with the spare litre?
--
TG

* QC samples so even my lawnmower runs on Mobil 1 oil

guest5251

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
there is only one use for cheap oil and thats cooking your chips

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »

there is only one use for cheap oil and thats cooking your chips
Thanks for your answer, i had never thought of that!

guest5505

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »
I do find it odd when someone says a certain oil is great, how do they know?!! just buy a well known respected brand, regardless of price.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »
mobil 1 0w/40 oil.in there jazzs i was going to get the oil while it was on offer at £ 35 for 5liters
Great oil & great price, have it in mine only because we get it free* but it's overkill really.
Pretty much any synth or semi-synth 0/5/10 > 30/40w low saps oil will do.

What do you plan on doing with the spare litre?
--
TG

* QC samples so even my lawnmower runs on Mobil 1 oil

I sometimes use high performance oil left over from motorbike oil change in the mower as well - although I wouldn't buy it specially for that !!

SAPS  - Sulphated Ash,  Phosphorous and Suphur - in modern diesels with DPF (diesel particulate filter - Joke) and TWC (three way CAT converter) using anything but low saps oil will block the DPF and damage the Cat (then the RSPCA may get involved). 

no good using really expensive oil in a Jazz - it isn't actually a high performance highly stressed engine - there are plenty of mid-price semi or fully synth oils out there (£25 to £35) that will keep it happy - and if the oil doesn't get dirty it probably isn't doing its job of mopping up and buffering the combustion products that get past the piston rings.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »

I do find it odd when someone says a certain oil is great, how do they know?!! just buy a well known respected brand, regardless of price.
The Mannol brand is in the German magazine 'Auto Motor und Sport" tested  and be  'TestSieger' (winner).
I was just asking if someone here knew and used it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »

The Mannol brand is in the German magazine 'Auto Motor und Sport" tested  and be  'TestSieger' (winner).
I was just asking if someone here knew and used it.

There is that much choice of well known branded oils available at good prices I wouldn't go out of my way to use one that has almost no info on internet - If I had a high performance car I would look at oils more closely,  I  use better quality oil in my motorbike than I do in my car because it has less oil capacity, is more highly stressed and the clutch runs in oil so you have to be careful not to get oils with certain friction reducing additives.

Tags: