Author Topic: Bottle jack height.  (Read 2790 times)

mgb789

• Approved Member
Bottle jack height.
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
Hi, I've got a trolley jack but it's very heavy to handle. I've been looking at bottle jacks on the internet, and they look as though they would be easier to use. Most of them don't state a minimum height measurement. My 02 Jazz is about 160mm to the jacking point. Does anyone know of one which would fit? My arms are rather weak so am looking for the easiest solution. Thank you.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: Bottle jack height.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »
The other day I saw an alloy trolley jack but quite pricey.
Click here, Light weight - only 10.3kg

The bottle jack can be a little bit lighter but not marginally. This has to be strong too - I mean heavy, because it has to be able to lift up the same weight as the trolley one. I suggest you to pop in to any car part shop and just check its weight and compare to your trolley one.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/2-tonne-bottle-jack
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:35:40 PM by RichardA »

guest1844

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
The problem with bottle jacks is their minimum height. The basic ones basically double their height, fancier ones have a telescopic arrangement. You'd want them as a replacement for the car's scissor jack but add a flat tyre to a Jazz and you need to get right down, precluding the use of bottle jacks.

They seem to be used for heavy lift such as trucks etc, or for supporting things on the car whilst you work on them (such as the engine whilst changing a mount).

mgb789

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
Thank you DV and Bazzer for your replies, sorry for the delay in replying, just got back from a sunny warm place! I didn't take into consideration the min. size would be much lower with a flat tyre. I think a lightweight trolley jack is the answer. Thanks again.

Tags: