Author Topic: Serviced today.  (Read 842 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Serviced today.
« on: July 13, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
My son-in-law serviced my car today. After my issues with MIL and Misfire Cylinder 2 code, as well as changing the plugs, I got him to swap the front coil packs between cylinders 2 and 3. If the fault goes it was a plug, if it's the same it is the rear coil pack 2 and if it is now cylinder 3 it is the front coil park.
I asked him to swap the wheels, front to rear, and to check the brakes while he had the wheels off. He said the discs are fine and the front pads have 5 mm, and the rears 3 mm, of material left. He will check them again before MOT time and possibly replace them then. I have done 56K miles and the pads were on the car when I bought it, so not too bad there. Used Shell Helix 5W-30 fully synthetic oil for my oil change.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Serviced today.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
My Malfunction Indicator Light came on again today. Code tells me it is a misfire on cylinder 2. Well plugs have been replaced and front coil packs 2 and 3 swapped, so it has to be the rear coil pack (as suspected). I have ordered a Hitachi replacement from Autodoc.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 11:15:37 AM »
Maybe I've mis-read your description. But you had a miss-fire on cylinder two, then swapped over the coil packs. Again you had a miss-fire on cylinder two. If it was the coil pack wouldn't the miss-fire move with the coil pack (to cylinder 3)?

EDIT: OK I see you moved just one of the coil packs and going on the assumption that the fault is definitely a coil pack and so must be the remaining coil pack. I think I would have also moved the suspect coil pack just to be 100% sure it was the coil pack at fault. Could it be a fault sensor reading or something else? Hopefully your new pack fixes the issue.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:19:46 AM by bus_ter »

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
My son-in-law serviced my car today. After my issues with MIL and Misfire Cylinder 2 code, as well as changing the plugs, I got him to swap the front coil packs between cylinders 2 and 3. If the fault goes it was a plug, if it's the same it is the rear coil pack 2 and if it is now cylinder 3 it is the front coil park.
I asked him to swap the wheels, front to rear, and to check the brakes while he had the wheels off. He said the discs are fine and the front pads have 5 mm, and the rears 3 mm, of material left. He will check them again before MOT time and possibly replace them then. I have done 56K miles and the pads were on the car when I bought it, so not too bad there. Used Shell Helix 5W-30 fully synthetic oil for my oil change.

A fine choice of oil, I popped in Helix 0W-20 with a bottle of MolySlip a month ago. Maybe belief in good quality, branded oils is misguided but it helps me sleep better :D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »
I think I would have also moved the suspect coil pack just to be 100% sure it was the coil pack at fault.
If I moved both coil packs I still would be wondering which one was faulty. My son-in-law reckoned the rear one was the easiest to get into to change, so, being the most likely to be faulty, we left it where it was.

Tags:

anything