Author Topic: Loss of coolant  (Read 3028 times)

Cara123

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2009 Automatic 1.3 CVT 7 speed
Loss of coolant
« on: July 12, 2021, 08:52:42 PM »
Can anybody advise before I take my little jazz to a honda garage. My jazz is my first car, so my car knowledge isn't that great. So, My 2009 1.3 automatic CVT 7 speed, Over the past few months I've noticed that my engine coolant reserve levels are dropping really fast, I last had to top it up 6 weeks ago when it was on the min line, I'm now sat just below half way., it's dropped by about a quarter in the last week.  There's no visible sign of a leak that I can see. Has anybody else had any issues with this

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Loss of coolant
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 09:31:14 PM »
Cylinder Head Gasket is likely.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:42:01 PM »
Costwise I would expect a Honda garage to be much more expensive than a good independent garage.
You may ask around for recommendations locally or, if you say where you are, members of this forum may be able to help.
Good luck.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 10:21:32 PM »
It could leak internally through the head gasket. Look for white stuff in the oil (under oil cap, dipstick etc).

More likely a small leak from a pipe connection or similar (mine recently failed spectacularly with a pipe coming off). If it's taking weeks to go down then it could be a smallish leak you can't spot.

Cara123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:10:49 AM »
Costwise I would expect a Honda garage to be much more expensive than a good independent garage.
You may ask around for recommendations locally or, if you say where you are, members of this forum may be able to help.
Good luck.

Thankyou. I'm in Derby, UK.

Cara123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 07:13:27 AM »
Cylinder Head Gasket is likely.

This what my dad thinks it is. Expensive to fix

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »
Checking the oil, on the filler cap or dipstick, will say for sure. If it looks white, like mayonnaise, then it is the head gasket. And yes it's expensive to fix as there's a lot of labour involved, but it's important you get it done. If there's water mixed in with the oil then it won't be doing it's job. So if you continue to drive without proper lubrication you risk some very expensive damage.

When I was first driving (40 odd years ago) head gaskets used to fail quite often. Not these days, especially with a Honda.

If the oil looks OK then there's a small leak in the pipework or radiator. In which case it won't do any harm to just keep it topped up. Though you should be adding the right coolant mix. It contains chemicals to stop corrosion inside the engine. Though it's better to add water than nothing.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 11:23:15 AM »
I would not assume the worst. You may not have a problem.

It may be the coolant is just settling to its normal level i.e. you may actually be over filling and it is “blowing off” the excess.

I had a Civic where the coolant was always at Low when the engine was cold. Each year I asked this to be topped up to Full. Each year the garage said “No, it is normal”. And it was for over 10 years. Topping up will just repeat it blowing off and going down to its “comfort” level.

It may just be the need for a new Radiator Cap.

If you do have a coolant leak, it could be a tiny pin hole somewhere, either in the radiator or the pipes or a connection which you cannot spot.

Look for a fine white powder deposit in the engine bay. That is the coolant which has evaporated and left a residue.

A sweet smell could be present under the bonnet if you have a minor external leak.

Look under the car after it has been used (i.e. hot) to see if there is a puddle. Don’t confuse this with air conditioning condensation draining out.

Take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold (turn the cap, wait for any pressure to release, depress the cap and turn).

Look at it. If you find creamy whitish gunk, like mayonnaise, on the radiator cap or the engine oil filler cap, then it could be a head gasket.

If no mayonnaise, you might want to put a new cap on. Buy a Honda radiator cap.

It may just be normal evaporation.

You may just be being over conscientious!

However, if you are seriously worried, ask someone to "Pressure Test the Cooling System (and the radiator cap too!)". It is very quick and easy to do if you have the right kit! I think a quick fit garage like ATS (or others) will do this while you wait.

And lastly, if there is no evidence that the coolant has been changed recently, you must have this done at the next service. IIRC Honda coolant lasts 10 years. Ask them to pressure test the system before they change the coolant!  Do specify they use Honda Coolant.

Let us know how you get on. As I say, I am not sure you actually have a problem.

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
Could be a slight weep from the water pump.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »

It may be the coolant is just settling to its normal level i.e. you may actually be over filling and it is “blowing off” the excess.

I had a Civic where the coolant was always at Low when the engine was cold. Each year I asked this to be topped up to Full. Each year the garage said “No, it is normal”. And it was for over 10 years. Topping up will just repeat it blowing off and going down to its “comfort” level.

If you do have a coolant leak, it could be a tiny pin hole somewhere, either in the radiator or the pipes or a connection which you cannot spot.

Look for a fine white powder deposit in the engine bay. That is the coolant which has evaporated and left a residue.

A sweet smell could be present under the bonnet if you have a minor external leak.

Look under the car after it has been used (i.e. hot) to see if there is a puddle. Don’t confuse this with air conditioning condensation draining out.

Take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold (turn the cap, wait for any pressure to release, depress the cap and turn).

Look at it. If you find creamy whitish gunk, like mayonnaise, on the radiator cap or the engine oil filler cap, then it could be a head gasket.

However, if you are seriously worried, ask someone to "Pressure Test the Cooling System (and the radiator cap too!)". It is very quick and easy to do if you have the right kit! I think a quick fit garage like ATS (or others) will do this while you wait.

And lastly, if there is no evidence that the coolant has been changed recently, you must have this done at the next service. IIRC Honda coolant lasts 10 years. Ask them to pressure test the system before they change the coolant!  Do specify they use Honda Coolant.

Let us know how you get on. As I say, I am not sure you actually have a problem.
Let's hope it's just something small like you had with your Civic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
The lower hose connection to radiator has a clip prone to corrosion.
It could leak under pressure only when engine is warm and running so only happens in motion.

Check there first.
(I replaced the connector there when my Jazz was 5 years old - the old one was badly corroded.

Cara123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »

Thanks for this I'm getting it looked at tomorrow so fingers crossed its nothing to major. Keep you posted

Cara123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 09:13:29 AM »
Turns out it's the cooling system water pump that's leaking. Just need to check now if its covered by the garages warranty from where I bought it from,
 I have a 9 month engine warranty so hoping they class the issue as the engine...let's see

Cara123

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 10:15:39 AM »

Turns out it's the cooling system water pump that's leaking. Just need to check now if its covered by the garages warranty from where I bought it from,
 I have a 9 month engine warranty so hoping they class the issue as the engine...let's see

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
Well done!

Tags:

anything