Author Topic: Low Dust Brake Pads and a question  (Read 961 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Low Dust Brake Pads and a question
« on: June 20, 2021, 08:45:54 PM »
I have ordered some new front and rear discs as the existing ones, although not worn out are badly corroded and look tatty.

Both front and rear pads are almost new <2k miles but the front ones produce far too much brake dust so has anyone found a make of pad for a reasonable price that has very low dust?

As a point of interest is it OK or not to use the existing rear pads as they are so new with new discs?

I did a bit of prep work today by making sure I could remove all the cross head retaining screws from the discs, what an absolute **** of a job that was, took me several hours beating the things with an impact driver before they succumbed.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Low Dust Brake Pads and a question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 08:58:44 PM »
My recent experience of brake renewal involved two brands. Eischer and Pagid from CarParts4less. Without question the Pagid were worth the few extra quid for the quality. The Eischer discs starded corroding a few days after fitting.

The Pagid on the rear of the Jazz several months and thousands of miles later, still look like new. They do not produce a lot of dust either IMHO. When the front brakes need replacing on our Jazz, it will be Pagid without doubt. Happy to recommend.  :D

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Low Dust Brake Pads and a question
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 09:04:07 PM »
My recent experience of brake renewal involved two brands. Eischer and Pagid from CarParts4less. Without question the Pagid were worth the few extra quid for the quality. The Eischer discs starded corroding a few days after fitting.

The Pagid on the rear of the Jazz several months and thousands of miles later, still look like new. They do not produce a lot of dust either IMHO. When the front brakes need replacing on our Jazz, it will be Pagid without doubt. Happy to recommend.  :D
Thanks Westy.

I’ve ordered Juratek discs which have an anti-rust finish on non-contact parts so hopefully will be OK. Previous experience with Pagid pads on other cars was not as good as yours as I found the brake dust was very bad on the front.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:12:26 PM »
No worries. I've fitted a Juratek caliper on a previous car, and I must say I was really impressed with the quality for the price. Certainly a brand I would use again.

If brake dust is a pain, try CarPlan Demon Wheels. I love the stuff. Give the wheels a liberal squirt about with the product and let it soak for a couple of mins. The brake dust starts to disolve and makes cleaning the wheels a breeze.  :D I use a wheel brush to make life easier and then finish off with my wheel noodle mit.

https://www.therange.co.uk/leisure/motoring/valeting/shampoo-and-polishes/demon-wheels/#888672

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:03:33 PM »
I don’t have any problems removing the brake dust, I use Bilt-Hamber Auto Wheels, although expensive the best wheel cleaner I’ve used, it’s how they look between washes that is annoying.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 12:10:03 AM »
I know what you mean about the disc retainer screws. I had some very stubborn Mini ones recently. I applied penetrating fluid to soak, then used a Makita cordless impact driver (not an impact wrench, a driver for wood screws etc) repeatedly reversing the direction. As soon as some movement showed more fluid was added and soaked and the process continued. Took best part of 15mins to get one to come out. The impact driver meant the Torx screw kept its socket without rounding out, but it was a close thing. Those screws projected through the hub, which was half the problem, the exposed end was badly corroded and I oiled them to help getting it back through the thread.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
I know what you mean about the disc retainer screws. I had some very stubborn Mini ones recently. I applied penetrating fluid to soak, then used a Makita cordless impact driver (not an impact wrench, a driver for wood screws etc) repeatedly reversing the direction. As soon as some movement showed more fluid was added and soaked and the process continued. Took best part of 15mins to get one to come out. The impact driver meant the Torx screw kept its socket without rounding out, but it was a close thing. Those screws projected through the hub, which was half the problem, the exposed end was badly corroded and I oiled them to help getting it back through the thread.

I have found that using a 'manual hammer activated ' :o  impact driver the 'wrong way' ( tightening ) first will break the seal on the countersunk head ( it is the large area of the countersunk head that causes the screws to be tight ) and allow fairly straightforward removal of the disc retainer screws.  Then I throw the screws away and do not refit them, the screws do nothing except hold the disk to hub in the Honda factory while they assemble the brakes,  and then you have 4 x M12 studs holding the discs onto the hub  ;D
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 12:24:16 PM »
I have ordered some new front and rear discs as the existing ones, although not worn out are badly corroded and look tatty.

Both front and rear pads are almost new <2k miles but the front ones produce far too much brake dust so has anyone found a make of pad for a reasonable price that has very low dust?

As a point of interest is it OK or not to use the existing rear pads as they are so new with new discs?

I did a bit of prep work today by making sure I could remove all the cross head retaining screws from the discs, what an absolute **** of a job that was, took me several hours beating the things with an impact driver before they succumbed.

Yes, you can refit your existing pads as many times as you like, until they are worn down or defective / damaged.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:52:46 PM by Droneranger »

Tags:

anything