Author Topic: Annoying rattle.  (Read 1419 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Annoying rattle.
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:35:38 PM »
I have an annoying rattle started somewhere behind the dashboard/binnacle/steering wheel. It seems to depend on the road surface. It sounds like washers rattling on a loose screw. I have tried moving the steering column up and down, bumping it up and down, twiddling the knobs and switches, and still, it persists. I have no intention of dismantling anything to try to eliminate. I'll just have to live with it. I have had minor rattles before, particularly in cold weather, but they go as quickly as they come. This has been rattling for several weeks now. Perhaps if the weather warms up.
Maybe I should squirt expanding foam filler foam everywhere   :P

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Annoying rattle.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:55:21 PM »
Yeah, they're the worst. Once you've heard them, I tend you find you end up focusing in on the rattle.

Expanding foam?  ;D Let us know how that works out!!

Solution I've used in the past....turn the radio up.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
Well, my rattle has gone. Tried the expanding foam. Unfortunately I can't get the doors shut now.
Only joking. Not joking about the rattle though. Temperature up about 10 degrees today and the rattle has gone!

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:06:37 PM »
Nice one Jocko. Until the next one eh?

My seat has developed a small squeak. Trying desperately to ignore it..... :D

10 degrees? Chilly chilly. We basked in 18 today and even saw the sun for while. Happy days!!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 07:11:35 PM »
UP 10 degrees. About 18 like yourself.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
LOL  ;D Would help if read the post!  :D

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 03:01:09 AM »
My passenger seat developed in incredible nagging sound for the best part of an hour this morning. But then we arrived at the McArthur Glen shopping centre near York and my mother in law got out and the noise went away. All was well as I did some pleasure driving alone around the wolds until I had to collect the shoppers and deposit the m-i-l back home. But again, after that trip the noise went away. Strangely enough, all was quiet as we drove home. I think my wife was traumatised and just needed an hour or two of quiet.

guest9236

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »
My passenger seat developed in incredible nagging sound for the best part of an hour this morning. But then we arrived at the McArthur Glen shopping centre near York and my mother in law got out and the noise went away. All was well as I did some pleasure driving alone around the wolds until I had to collect the shoppers and deposit the m-i-l back home. But again, after that trip the noise went away. Strangely enough, all was quiet as we drove home. I think my wife was traumatised and just needed an hour or two of quiet.

M I law obviously Not wearing a muffler !!?

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 09:52:03 PM »
I have an annoying rattle started somewhere behind the dashboard/binnacle/steering wheel. It seems to depend on the road surface. It sounds like washers rattling on a loose screw. I have tried moving the steering column up and down, bumping it up and down, twiddling the knobs and switches, and still, it persists. I have no intention of dismantling anything to try to eliminate. I'll just have to live with it. I have had minor rattles before, particularly in cold weather, but they go as quickly as they come. This has been rattling for several weeks now. Perhaps if the weather warms up.
Maybe I should squirt expanding foam filler foam everywhere   :P
I have had this exact issue, among many others, for 15 months now and it hasn't developed futher so fingers crossed yours will be okay. My issue hasn't gotten any louder since it developed and, as you say, is very much dependant on the road surface so it thankfully isn't there on the motorway where it would be at it's loudest.

As I said, It SHOULDN'T develop further, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it looked at if it's bothering you.

Tags:

anything