Author Topic: Car breakdown insurance  (Read 11660 times)

guest5079

Car breakdown insurance
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
Our local free paper was extolling the virtues of car breakdown insurance. Yes I know it was probably written by the company. How ever, the company involved has many good reviews, with the exception of one who complained
because the company refused to pay for a knackered steering box on his van.
The company is Warrantywise.  As my Jazz's cover by Honda is ending I wonder has anyone any experience of this sort of insurance. Given the outstanding reliability of Hondas I should have thought premiums would be low. I know there are those that say Honda's are expensive to repair but I am mindful of our local bookshop owner who had a Vauxhall Zafira. The mileage recorder packed up. He was relieved of £1000 by Vauxhall to repair same.
Thanks for reading this.

guest5185

• Topic Starter
Re: Car breakdown insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
I'm guessing the warranty company may benefit from the Honda's reliability rather than giving customers reduced premiums. You may be able to get an extended warranty from Honda for around £300 pa

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
I think it is wise to pay for your own repairs as and when; if the first 3 years have been faultless then the remainder of your responsible ownership should also be faultless.  Honda have been quite good at providing an extended warranty on items where they have identified issues, such as the Jazz Mk1 rear wheel bearing and gearbox.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have never contemplated breakdown insurance before, and as Honda are reliable it could be said the risk is worth taking.
Whilst on this subject, we used to be members of the RAC and because we are both wrinkly disabled we had their special blue badge scheme. In 2014  I think it was approx £130. When we bought the Honda we were advised we could not have two breakdown covers so we cancelled the RAC. ( Whatever you think of Hondas prices their package with Honda care was so much better than the RAC and we had two years warranty so we would have been idiots to cancel the Honda care.) We had paid the premium in the July and cancelled it in October. RAC were less than helpful and we lost the remaining monies. I have just contacted them as the Hondacare runs out soon. £170.98!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOT about the money they had for free? I am contacting the AA. I looked up GreenFlag and their customer satisfaction was not good.
Any comments on experiences with these three would be gratefully received.

guest5185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
Part of my choice of the Honda extended warranty is that it includes breakdown cover, so in effect the true cost of the warranty is the total less the cost of equivalent cover from AA/RAC etc

Over the years when out of warranty I have been loyal to AA, and have found them to be good although last time I had cover was 2011

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:16:48 PM »
.... we used to be members of the RAC
Any comments on experiences with these three would be gratefully received.

If you have Tesco Clubcard points/vouchers you can use them to get RAC cover.  £18 of vouchers = a years cover for my Mum. Use more vouchers for at home, onward travel, family cover etc.
--
TG

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
If you continue to have the car serviced by a Honda dealer then they will renew the Honda Care free but I've found (with two dealers) I had to ask for it.  Be aware that the free one is a somewhat more limited version so check it meets your needs.

As for extented warranty, never bothered with Honda.  I do have Warranty Direct cover on my Mercedes and that's worked fine when I've needed to claim.  The big difference with them is they cover failure due to wear and tear - I suspect that's the reason WarrantyWise wouldn't pay out in the case in the OP - most warranties will only pay if the failure is sudden, ie something just breaks or stops working.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
I contacted the RAC for a quote as my Hondacare finishes soon. £170.98!!!!!! as they look after blue badge holders. I should think they do!!!!!

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »
You should get £72.14 of that back in the first year if you buy via topcashback.co.uk

Then next year repeat but with another supplier.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Just for info,
 I have had a reply from Warranty Wise. They want to know which garage would I take the car to?
While I appreciate they have to look after their money, should I stipulate 'A' garage and break down some 200 miles away would they refuse to pay for the repair as it wasn't at the stipulated garage.
I think it will be a case of saving my pennies as TG suggested and hope MY Honda lives up to the marques reputation. I am surprised that the dealer from whom I bought the car has not been in contact, they have been quick enough with their special deals.
Thanks to all for their input, that's why Club Jazz is so useful.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »
Hi,
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you like. We feel it does offer a great level of cover at a competitive price.
Regards,
Dan.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »
I should be grateful to Dan at Adrian Flux if he could give me some information regarding his offer re breakdown insurance.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Sure, here you go:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/

Kind Regards
Dan

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
Aunty Neddy,

Have you discussed the expiring extended Honda Warranty (Honda Happiness?) with your dealer? My five year Honda warranty expired in 2014 and I was offered a second 5 year Honda warranty by the dealer, which I grabbed at a cost of £550 including VAT for the next 5 years!!! Exactly the same warranty as I had the first time around which included servicing etc. It seems to be far and away the best deal as you know who will be working on the car and that they will use genuine Honda Parts. Just saying.........

Old Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »
Aunty Neddy,

Have you discussed the expiring extended Honda Warranty (Honda Happiness?) with your dealer? My five year Honda warranty expired in 2014 and I was offered a second 5 year Honda warranty by the dealer, which I grabbed at a cost of £550 including VAT for the next 5 years!!! Exactly the same warranty as I had the first time around which included servicing etc. It seems to be far and away the best deal as you know who will be working on the car and that they will use genuine Honda Parts. Just saying.........

Old Jock

I've never heard of anything like that.  Warranty for years 6 to 10 for £550?  AND it includes servicing??

There's got to be some mistake / misunderstanding there.

Tags: