Author Topic: i-DSI vs i-VTEC  (Read 19602 times)

Geertz

• Approved Member
i-DSI vs i-VTEC
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
Hi there,
I'm considering buying a Honda jazz because it seems the most practical for size in its class.  How do people find the dsi engine vs the newer Vtec engine? Does it have enough power for lots of Hill starts as I live in Sheffield this is a concern.  How are there any maintenance trade offs between the mk1s and mk2s? And how about fuel efficiency,  is there a big difference there?  Also what's a reasonable price for a 2008 mk1 with 40k miles in good nick?

Sorry for all of the questions.  This is my first car and it's because we have a little one on the way so I feel like I'm out of my depth.

Cheers.

guest5079

Re: i-DSI vs i-VTEC
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
We have a 2010 EX with Ishift. There is considerable apathy shown towards the I shift but I have no problems with it except the difference between 1st and 2nd gear and this is the same problem with the manual box on a MK2 so you will notice that. As to the IVtec engine, there are many that say the Mk1 engine is more flexible but not having driven one I cannot comment BUT I will argue with those that keep saying the I Vtec engine doesn't come into its own until higher revs.
I have never found the engine sluggish at lower revs and at 2500 to 3000 revs it will go like a scalded cat. What you do have to do is use the gears, it is no good slogging along.
I hope it might help BUT I repeat myself I have never found our car sluggish.
Good luck, unfortunately pricing is a problem due to the amazing variation from vendor to vendor. Recently looked at a 2014 and the price difference was in the region of £1500 for apparently similar cars. Ask around about garages, my experience with a main dealer was not good others not so. Sometimes an independent will give a better deal.

guest7502

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Having been to see a couple at garages, I'd really advise a preference for finding a decent private buy. I went to look at one at the weekend and the engine was piping hot, it had scuffed wheels that had been painted over, and a brand new number plate and some very new looking panels - I suspect it had been crashed. Potentially sitting around and they started it up just in case, but I walked away.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
As to the IVtec engine, there are many that say the Mk1 engine is more flexible but not having driven one I cannot comment BUT I will argue with those that keep saying the I Vtec engine doesn't come into its own until higher revs.
I have never found the engine sluggish at lower revs and at 2500 to 3000 revs it will go like a scalded cat. What you do have to do is use the gears, it is no good slogging along.

IMHO having owned both I-DSi and iVTEC,   the IDSi is better suited to 95% of the things a Jazz normally does (Urban driving).  I never stalled an IDSi but did several times in the i-VTEC,  it just needs more revs to pull away, and the jump from first to second can be downright embarrassing if you try to change up early on a slope.  People say IDSi is no good on motorway but I did many thousands of motorway miles without any concerns.

I really think iVTEC is pretty pants below 3000 revs, is just about adequate but no more,  sure it has power higher up but most of the Jazz owning demographic (like her indoors) will not rev it much above 2500 most of the time.

On the other hand the 1.8 i-VTEC in the Civic is boootifull.... (also has a six speed box with well spaced ratios)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Having been to see a couple at garages, I'd really advise a preference for finding a decent private buy. I went to look at one at the weekend and the engine was piping hot, it had scuffed wheels that had been painted over, and a brand new number plate and some very new looking panels - I suspect it had been crashed. Potentially sitting around and they started it up just in case, but I walked away.

Problem is with private sale it is a case of 'sold as seen' and no legal comeback without taking private action via small claims court, once the seller has your money it's bye-bye.   Caveat Emptor.  Personally I have always used reputable dealers, Either Brindley Honda or J T Hughes in our neck of the woods,  I know it costs you more but you do have a lot of backup and legal protection.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:01 AM »
I have the 1.2 i-DSi and I love it. It is an incredibly flexible wee engine. On a flat road it will pull from 25 mph in 5th and just an hour ago I was driving on a flat road, in 5th, at 30 mph, with a cold engine, and my ScanGauge was indicating 68 mpg! I have never had problems with a hill start, anywhere, and there are plenty steep hills here in Scotland.
I opted for the 1.2 for the slightly cheaper Excise duty. I have owned it for almost two years, maintenance has not been a problem and the figure beside my avatar shows the average mpg over that time. Most of my journeys are short trips, in town, engine cold, as I take my wife to and pick her up from work. I normally sit around 60 on motorways, but it will do 70 with no stress. I find the loudest thing at those speeds is tyre noise.
Listen carefully to the gearbox on any car you go to look at. With engine running and in neutral there should be no difference in noise between clutch up or down. If it is noisy with the clutch up the input bearings are shot. I just had my gearbox rebuilt, but it cost £324, so be aware.

Geertz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I just got to work and had a read through. I was also wondering about the automatic CVT gearbox. My wife is interested in driving an automatic these days.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
You will have no problems with the CVT gearbox although it does require an oil change at 25K or two years.
On price, local to me in a Honda dealer there is a Sept 1958 Jazz SE CVT with 50K miles and full history going for £4500. This is one of the last of the i-DSI engined cars.

Vic.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »
Sept 1958 Jazz SE CVT? Think you mean 2008 Vic!

Think £4500 is a little steep, Mine bought nearly 2 years ago from a main dealer with 64K on the clock was over £1K cheaper.

Mike.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
Geertz; I have the 2008 CVT and wouldn't have a manual again. So much easier if you need urban driving in big towns; not gears to worry about. Cruises on a motoway OK too. :)

Mike.

Geertz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
How's the performance for longer car journeys? We are looking to use it for road tripping around the UK as well.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »
No problems for longer journeys, just remember it is a Jazz not a BMW or a Mercedes.

Vic.

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »
Having recently bought ours, from what I can tell is these cars seem to hold their value and in my inexperienced guess I'd say north of 3K for that car?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:09:50 AM »
Auto Trader show them from about £2.7K.

guest5079

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
Just to put my twopenneth in again. Yesterday, climbing a fairly steep hill, increased the throttle to compensate and off we went. 3rd gear ( Ishift and 2000 revs). I find the biggest problem with the Jazz on fast roads is holding the little beggar back. It is very easy to find oneself above the 70mph limit. Of course it's not a sports car but personally I think it is a good little car that does what it is designed to do fairly well. It can't of course be beaten on it's magic seats.
It really is horses for courses.

Tags: