Author Topic: Mould problem  (Read 2754 times)

guest6477

Mould problem
« on: December 17, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »
Hello all, got a bit of a problem.

Every time it rains, patches of mould rapidly grow on the carpets in the rear, I suspect that water is leaking from the roof.

Would removing the rubber seals on the roof then re-sealing them fix the problem? I have a feeling there's more than one entry point for the water to leak into, as water appears in the boot as well (where the spare wheel is.)

Thanks!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Mould problem
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »
Would removing the rubber seals on the roof then re-sealing them fix the problem? I have a feeling there's more than one entry point for the water to leak into, as water appears in the boot as well
Remove drivers side roof strip by pushing it backwards at the front while lifting it up a few inches behind.  It will disengage from the pin so you can peel it back and unclip the back end. 

Dig out the crumbly filler at the back end of the gutter, there's about a 1/4" panel gap which needs refilling.  A paintable flexible filler is best.  Mask the area and fill with something like PU40 from Toolstation (not silicone bath sealant) and smooth over.  Cover with touch-up when dry.

Might as well do the same on the passenger side even though that drains out.

Dry boot since 2010.
--
TG

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:35 AM »
Would removing the rubber seals on the roof then re-sealing them fix the problem? I have a feeling there's more than one entry point for the water to leak into, as water appears in the boot as well
Remove drivers side roof strip by pushing it backwards at the front while lifting it up a few inches behind.  It will disengage from the pin so you can peel it back and unclip the back end. 

Dig out the crumbly filler at the back end of the gutter, there's about a 1/4" panel gap which needs refilling.  A paintable flexible filler is best.  Mask the area and fill with something like PU40 from Toolstation (not silicone bath sealant) and smooth over.  Cover with touch-up when dry.

Might as well do the same on the passenger side even though that drains out.

Dry boot since 2010.
--
TG

Thank you TG, I got the same problem, weird water in my boot..
I will try this as well :)

owen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Blue 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
This is a common problem.  The roof panel joins are sealed with putty which eventually dries out and cracks.  It needs digging out and re-filling with new silicone sealant.  There is a guide on either this forum or the Honda Fit forum.  It goes through the procedure with photos etc but it's pretty straightforward. 

In my case I tried doing the minimum with just replacing the sealant around the hatch.  It didn't work so then I did the whole lot all the way down the roof gutter.  This solved it and I've had a dry boot for a few years now.

Tags: