Author Topic: Maxxis AP3 Premitra All Seasons Tyres/AP2 All Seasons  (Read 1727 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Maxxis AP3 Premitra All Seasons Tyres/AP2 All Seasons
« on: January 26, 2021, 04:19:30 PM »
So finally a chance to test the Maxxis AP3 All Seasons after some snow on Sunday. Had to get some food for my elderly mum so took my Ibiza out. You may recall the tyres were given to me for being a brand influencer back in October.

The AP3 works well on fresh snow, producing no spin when moving off. No problems with stopping either going down a slop etc. Unfortunately I didn't get much chance of driving them on ice.

Yesterday I took the Jazz out with the Maxxis AP2 which I had brought a few years ago. I used them on snow before but this time it's more on ice. My mum lives on a slop and as I had to deliver some medication for her, I thought I test the tyres on ice/compacted snow. It moved off well and again, stopped well. AP2 is based on winter tyre patterns whereas AP3 is based more in Summer tyres.

Seeing cars without All Seasons/Winter tyres skidding around, I m glad I made a decision to go for all seasons tyres. I previously had Michelin CrossClimate, Goodyear Vector 4S and Nexen N'Priz 4S. Definitely good investment. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 04:31:05 PM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Maxxis AP3 Premitra All Seasons Tyres/AP2 All Seasons
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 08:08:18 PM »
Seeing cars without All Seasons/Winter tyres skidding around
But be honest, there are many drivers out there that if you gave them a Defender with winter tyres, they would still slip and slide.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:33:27 PM »
Seeing cars without All Seasons/Winter tyres skidding around
But be honest, there are many drivers out there that if you gave them a Defender with winter tyres, they would still slip and slide.

:D How are your Yokohama all seasons, Jocko?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »
How are your Yokohama all seasons, Jocko?
I am really impressed with them. They fill me with a lot of confidence. We haven't had much snow here that I have been out in, but I have no real issues. I did have a slight problem trying to reverse into my mother-in-law's drive over ice caused by hard frozen slush. There is never much room due to vehicles parked right up to the gates (if they are not blocking them altogether). As I tried to reverse up the ramp to the pavement, the front end started to slide sideways towards a parked van. I just had to ease forward a little bit and take a run at it, a daunting task as there is only a foot more opening than there is Jazz, and the gates are wrought iron. Madge's dad did well getting his Mondeo in there every day!
The good thing about the tyres is that now I have put a couple of thousand miles on them the fuel economy is starting to pick up. The rough edges must be getting knocked off.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
How are your Yokohama all seasons, Jocko?
I am really impressed with them. They fill me with a lot of confidence. We haven't had much snow here that I have been out in, but I have no real issues. I did have a slight problem trying to reverse into my mother-in-law's drive over ice caused by hard frozen slush. There is never much room due to vehicles parked right up to the gates (if they are not blocking them altogether). As I tried to reverse up the ramp to the pavement, the front end started to slide sideways towards a parked van. I just had to ease forward a little bit and take a run at it, a daunting task as there is only a foot more opening than there is Jazz, and the gates are wrought iron. Madge's dad did well getting his Mondeo in there every day!
The good thing about the tyres is that now I have put a couple of thousand miles on them the fuel economy is starting to pick up. The rough edges must be getting knocked off.

Good to hear Jocko. If I remember correctly, this is the first time you used All Season Tyres?

As regards to ice, I had the same problem with Michelin CrossClimate but not with Nexen N'Priz or Maxxis AP2. May be the former is based upon summer tyre patterns and latters are more like winter tyres. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out the new AP3, which is also based on summer tyre patterns, on ice.

After years of using all seasons, I highly recommend them for safety reasons for all the UK members.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
If I remember correctly, this is the first time you used All Season Tyres?
Yes, that is correct. The ice I was on you couldn't stand on. It was about an inch thick where the snowmelt had frozen in the gutter. I think it would have taken studded tyres to get a grip.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
Slightly off topic but do you think that the speed was appropriate for the conditions irrespective of the type of tyre https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19040050.video-lorry-jackknifes-across-two-lanes-snow-covered-road-hits-car/ ?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
I would go round a corner like that in those conditions at c 20mph. It appeared the lorry was doing 30mph+

Lying snow makes control very difficult

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
Slightly off topic but do you think that the speed was appropriate for the conditions irrespective of the type of tyre https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19040050.video-lorry-jackknifes-across-two-lanes-snow-covered-road-hits-car/ ?

Definitely too fast for the condition! That driver was doing nearly 27mph.

Tags:

anything