Author Topic: Trump or no Trump?  (Read 2228 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Trump or no Trump?
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
Do you think Donald Trump should be allowed to address both houses of parliament during his upcoming State Visit?
Previous speakers have included Jan Smuts, Nikita Khrushchev, Mikhail Gorbachev, Shimon Peres, and Xi Jinping.

hemming

• Approved Member
Re: Trump or no Trump?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:17:56 PM »
I'm afraid so. But I'd rather scrub my 3 car sized drive with a tooth brush than listen to him.
Serves the Lords and Commons right if they have to!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
Of course he should be allowed.  He is the President of the United States of America who are our closest ally.  And to reinforce the fact, it will be the 75th anniversary of D-Day.  Where would the world be without the support of the USA 75 years ago?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:45:42 PM »
I think they should send a team of navy seals ahead of Trump and abduct the poison dwarf Bercow and also Sadiq Khant - and keep them out of the way while Trump is here.  It is totally ridiculous that we allow loonies like those pair to disrupt state visits,  can H M the Queen still say 'off with his head' ?

If the queen is OK with the visit Bercow and Khant should jolly well shut up ( or have their heads chopped off by the royal executioner for treason ),  the visit is by the president of our best friend in the world, our fine weather friends in the EU have shown us in the last 2.5 years what they think of us....

Bercow is probably the most bombastic, grandstanding and most biased speaker the house has had in many a year - he is a disgrace to the post of speaker.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:39 AM »
I think they should send a team of navy seals ahead of Trump and abduct the poison dwarf Bercow and also Sadiq Khant - and keep them out of the way while Trump is here.  It is totally ridiculous that we allow loonies like those pair to disrupt state visits,  can H M the Queen still say 'off with his head' ?

If the queen is OK with the visit Bercow and Khant should jolly well shut up ( or have their heads chopped off by the royal executioner for treason ),  the visit is by the president of our best friend in the world, our fine weather friends in the EU have shown us in the last 2.5 years what they think of us....

Bercow is probably the most bombastic, grandstanding and most biased speaker the house has had in many a year - he is a disgrace to the post of speaker.

Well said that man, absolutely agree,I wouldn’t have Bercow as a garden ornament sitting beside my pond, he would probably kill the fish.And as for our so called Mayor of London well what can you say perhaps promote him and provide a cart and broom, even then Trigger would do a better job.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:47 AM »
I too am of the opinion that, love him or hate him, he is the US president and deserves the respect that position confers. Quite a few MPs are against him speaking so all they need do is not turn up.
Rentamob will be out in force, no doubt about that.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Trump was and remains popular in the US as many voters could not bring themselves to have another Clinton in a position of power.
As regards a 20min slot at our Parliament why not everyone and their mother seems to believe we remain a democracy.

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »

everyone and their mother seems to believe we remain a democracy.

NOT ME!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
Trump was and remains popular in the US as many voters could not bring themselves to have another Clinton in a position of power.
As regards a 20min slot at our Parliament why not everyone and their mother seems to believe we remain a democracy.

He lost the popular vote by over 2 million - it was just the vagaries of their incomprehensible system that means you can lose the vote and still win.

He is a grotesque individual but, on balance, I go along with the view that we are honouring the office rather than the man.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:40:45 PM »

He lost the popular vote by over 2 million - it was just the vagaries of their incomprehensible system that means you can lose the vote and still win.

He is a grotesque individual but, on balance, I go along with the view that we are honouring the office rather than the man.

No doubt at all that other presidents, both democrats and republicans lost the popular vote but still won via electoral college system, where some states carry more weight than others. The system is what it is and the clever people aim to win the most influential states.  He has done what promised to do during campaign ( how many elected politicians do that ? )  The democrats were predicting ( ie hoping for )  a massive swing against incumbent party, which often happens in US mid term elections but it never really happened and only a few seats changed hands ( GOP actually picked up a Senate seat or two).  Some of Trumps most controversial policies were actually courtesy of obarmy, including ban on travel from dangerous mu5l1m countries - Obama compiled the list, and the U.S. has always separated kids from parents where illegal immigrants are concerned because kids cannot be housed in adult facilities, whether that is a jail or a detention centre, and that is mainly for the protection of the kids. As far as sanctions on Iran were concerned Clinton passed the legislation but every year when time to decide came up the incumbent president flunked it and did not enact sanctions, so Trump did as Iran was playing fast and loose, nd now he is the bad guy.. When the liberal, democratic press is against you it seems it is open season on Trump, but I bet he gets re-elected in 2020, as the democrats are a bunch of institutionalised sheep....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
Obama's Arab Spring didn't go too well, did it?

Let's just forget what he was responsible for in Libya, Syria, Egypt and a few others too.

Nice guy!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:11:49 PM »

No doubt at all that other presidents, both democrats and republicans lost the popular vote but still won via electoral college system, where some states carry more weight than others. The system is what it is and the clever people aim to win the most influential states.  He has done what promised to do during campaign ( how many elected politicians do that ? )  The democrats were predicting ( ie hoping for )  a massive swing against incumbent party, which often happens in US mid term elections but it never really happened and only a few seats changed hands ( GOP actually picked up a Senate seat or two).  Some of Trumps most controversial policies were actually courtesy of obarmy, including ban on travel from dangerous mu5l1m countries - Obama compiled the list, and the U.S. has always separated kids from parents where illegal immigrants are concerned because kids cannot be housed in adult facilities, whether that is a jail or a detention centre, and that is mainly for the protection of the kids. As far as sanctions on Iran were concerned Clinton passed the legislation but every year when time to decide came up the incumbent president flunked it and did not enact sanctions, so Trump did as Iran was playing fast and loose, nd now he is the bad guy.. When the liberal, democratic press is against you it seems it is open season on Trump, but I bet he gets re-elected in 2020, as the democrats are a bunch of institutionalised sheep....

Haven't checked but pretty sure of my facts here. No winning president has lost the popular vote by as big a margin as Trump and I'm pretty sure that only Republicans have benefitted. George W Bush and one other. In almost all US elections the popular vote gets you over the line.

The Electoral College hasn't changed for many years even though votes need to be re-allocated to reflect population changes. Trump was able to win states in the old rust belts which have, on current population levels, over representation in the electoral college.

Trump supporters are "relaxed" about the fact that he got less than half the votes cast but that's because he is on the far right. It's why he has a lot of support in the UK as well.

If a Democrat "won" in this way the far right would be screaming blue murder.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
https://history.house.gov/Institution/Electoral-College/Electoral-College/

It's happened 5 times in total. Only 3 times since the 20th Century dawned.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:26 PM »

Let's just forget what he was responsible for in Libya, Syria, Egypt and a few others too.

Nice guy!

Obarmy was a proper warmonger, as was Hillary Clinton.. Funny thing is a lot of American women hate Hillary.

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/27/democrats_this_is_why_you_need_to_fear_hillary_clinton_the_ny_times_is_absolutely_right_shes_a_bigger_hawk_than_the_republicanse/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:32:19 PM by culzean »

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »

Nice guy!

Obarmy was a proper warmonger, as was Hillary Clinton.. Funny thing is a lot of American women hate Hillary.

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/27/democrats_this_is_why_you_need_to_fear_hillary_clinton_the_ny_times_is_absolutely_right_shes_a_bigger_hawk_than_the_republicanse/

I think that to describe Obama as a warmonger is something of an overstatement.

I would suggest he was just plain naive and his foolishness caused millions to suffer as well as major political crisis in Europe.

Trump's record, so far, is pretty benign. He is ridiculed by the hard left. Ridicule is a pretty poor form of criticism but the hard left seem to relish abusing any who do not agree with them - e.g. those who voted to leave the EU.

Tags: