Author Topic: Pool of Water in Boot?  (Read 16053 times)

guest6436

Pool of Water in Boot?
« on: September 14, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I know this is notorious problem for Jazz,however I still haven't fixed mine... as I can't understand from where exactly does the water get in, there are no apparent holes , some say its from the black roof plastic bits, however there isn't really a clear exact answer..
has anyone tackled this problem and can pin-point the exact place where exactly does the water gets in so it can be fixed? Perhaps an exact picture of the exact place which needs to be fixed? Not really fancying drilling a hole in boot itself so it can flow away.

Cheers.
just mopped out 2-3litres of water from there...

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Pool of Water in Boot?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
I have seen some pictures here of or the Fit forum. The black strips in the roof, if you life them from the back you can see where the water runs into a seam. You need to re-calk them and then refit the plastic strips to make all water tight. As I said it has already been covered online. Found this on you tube but there are others

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
On my 2003 Jazz I never had a problem with water in boot, but my wife did in hers but because the leak was so small I drilled a 6mm hole at lowest point of boot (park car on a flat area and see where water is sitting the deepest, then drill a hole there) never had the problem after.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »
Yes, fixed it many years ago and it has now lasted longer than the original did.

#1 Unclip gutter trim on drivers side (UK) by pushing back at end while trying to lift about 6" further back.
#2 Peel back and unclip at other end.
#3 Remove slime and debris from gutter.  Find tiny crack and test it with a paint brush bristle.
#4 Wonder how on earth so much water can get through such a tiny crack.
#5 Scrape out old filler from panel join in last inch of gutter.
#6 Wonder why they built it with a gap at the end.
#7 Mask area with tape.
#8 Fill with polyurethane sealant like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67949  (NOT silicone!)
#9 Smooth over with plastic offcut then cover with touch up paint when set.
#10 Marvel at dry boot, think about replacing rusty jack.

I did not take pictures when I fixed mine so demonstrated on a scrapyard car instead.  Although quite a lot of the join is exposed here, I only found the gap at the top corner on both cars.
--
TG

(Log in / register for pictures)

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »
Yes, fixed it many years ago and it has now lasted longer than the original did.

#1 Unclip gutter trim on drivers side (UK) by pushing back at end while trying to lift about 6" further back.
#2 Peel back and unclip at other end.
#3 Remove slime and debris from gutter.  Find tiny crack and test it with a paint brush bristle.
#4 Wonder how on earth so much water can get through such a tiny crack.
#5 Scrape out old filler from panel join in last inch of gutter.
#6 Wonder why they built it with a gap at the end.
#7 Mask area with tape.
#8 Fill with polyurethane sealant like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67949  (NOT silicone!)
#9 Smooth over with plastic offcut then cover with touch up paint when set.
#10 Marvel at dry boot, think about replacing rusty jack.

I did not take pictures when I fixed mine so demonstrated on a scrapyard car instead.  Although quite a lot of the join is exposed here, I only found the gap at the top corner on both cars.
--
TG

(Log in / register for pictures)

EXCELLENT! Thank you very much kind Sir!

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
As a matter of interest (I don't have this problem) did they fix this problem on later models; i.e. 2008 versions?
Thanks.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
.... did they fix this problem on later models; i.e. 2008 versions?
I think they used a better sealant on later cars, might also be dependant on which factory assembled the car.
Mine = leaky Japanese.
--
TG

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Thanks TG; mine's made in China, but I guess that when they make mods to the sealants used all factories would change over to the current one. :)

I guess you can't really blame a manufacturer for a fault that only turns up a decade or more later.

Mike.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:20:01 AM by MikeG1944 »

iceblue

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
Any reason why you say NOT silicone??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
Welcome iceblue. TG no longer posts on the site, but I think the problem with silicone sealant is that it doesn't stand the rigours of freezing temperatures and scorching summer sun.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
Anybody know what's happened to TG?

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
I did this fix just last week.

I heard that the leak only comes from the right side, however after sealing the right side I still had the leak. Sealing the left side fixed my leak.

I didn't strip out the old filler. I just cleaned it and used a clear sealant pushed in to the cracks (Fernox LS-X Plumbers sealant). I also heard water could get in through the two bolts that hold the boot gas support mount things on. I removed the bolts (holding the boot open with my head!), put the sealant in and around the holes and re-secured the bolts).

So far no leaks.

@Culzean: I have a hole in the bottom of my boot, I thought it was factory. 56 Plate.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
@Culzean: I have a hole in the bottom of my boot, I thought it was factory. 56 Plate.

There are normally holes in car bodies at low points,  but normally blocked up with plastic bungs.  They are drain holes to be used in body manufacturing process when bodies are dipped in anything ( for degreasing before painting or are sometimes paint drain holes for primer).  The holes tend to be 20mm diameter or larger,  not the 6mm I drilled for drainage.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

iceblue

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
I did this fix just last week.

I heard that the leak only comes from the right side, however after sealing the right side I still had the leak. Sealing the left side fixed my leak.

I didn't strip out the old filler. I just cleaned it and used a clear sealant pushed in to the cracks (Fernox LS-X Plumbers sealant). I also heard water could get in through the two bolts that hold the boot gas support mount things on. I removed the bolts (holding the boot open with my head!), put the sealant in and around the holes and re-secured the bolts).

So far no leaks.

I've just done exactly the same. I used clear silicone sealant. Did the right side first but it didn't cure the fault. Did the same on the left side and it's now as dry as a bone, Happy Days!!

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
 Just done the same to my soggy rear end!
Used CT1, an industrial construction sealant and adhesive that can be used on wet items  even underwater...not that the wet boot is that bad :)

Tags: