Author Topic: Washer Jets Clogged or Not Spraying - only Streaming Water.  (Read 10860 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Washer Jets Clogged or Not Spraying - only Streaming Water.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »
Not quite on subject but recently when we had the fog, I was surprised that I was the only one using my wipers and washers. Something I was taught, it is amazing how much muck is in fog.

Indeed.

Mind you, you have to be thankful when they use headlights in fog these days.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 05:03:07 PM »
Not quite on subject but recently when we had the fog, I was surprised that I was the only one using my wipers and washers. Something I was taught, it is amazing how much muck is in fog.

Indeed.

Mind you, you have to be thankful when they use headlights in fog these days.

I can remember how dirty 'smog' (smoke and fog) used to be, my face used to be proper dirty on motorbike.  But fog is just water droplets (low cloud) and not at all dirty.   Using headlights in fog can actually reduce your forward visibility as the light just gets diffused an reflected straight back at you by the water droplets,  it is why foglights are mounted low down, there is a clear area just above the road - if you can shine the light forward in the clear area it is not diffused and reflected by the fog so much.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:07:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
Well I've just been out for another look at the jets.

Lots of water coming through them but only going roughly 10" up the windscreen, not in a spray pattern just a simple "straw" of water coming out..

Both jets are doing exactly the same thing.

If I block one of the jets up, the other one does indeed squirt out as per expectations. Same blocking the other jet up!

So if the water is streaming through OK and the blocking off of the other jet produces the correct spray pattern, this might suggest a lack of pressure at the jets?

Where should one look to improve the pressure/flow of the system?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »

Lots of water coming through them but only going roughly 10" up the windscreen, not in a spray pattern just a simple "straw" of water coming out..

If I block one of the jets up, the other one does indeed squirt out as per expectations. Same blocking the other jet up!

So if the water is streaming through OK and the blocking off of the other jet produces the correct spray pattern, this might suggest a lack of pressure at the jets?

Could have a kink in the tube from pump to jets.

Sediment in washer bottle blocking pump inlet

Pump may be on the way out or getting sticky - they are only simple little motors, commutator brushes worn or damaged,  impeller may be breaking up and restricting pump volume.

Both the front and rear pumps are on drivers side behind the front end of the wheel arch underguarding,  if you are going in there may suggest you replace headlight bulb at same time  :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:40:26 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »

Could have a kink in the tube from pump to jets.

Sediment in washer bottle blocking pump inlet

Pump may be on the way out or getting sticky - they are only simple little motors, commutator brushes worn or damaged,  impeller may be breaking up and restricting pump volume.

Both the front and rear pumps are on drivers side behind the front end of the wheel arch underguarding,  if you are going in there may suggest you replace headlight bulb at same time  :o

Sounds like it could be quite a bit of effort then!

It doesn't look like the jets are that easy to remove either.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »
Well I think this problem may have been solved, using a very old solution (pun intended).  ;D

Back in the day, washer bottles were filled up with water and a bit of washing up liquid. At some point, decades ago, after washing cars for years with washing up liquid, some bright spark pointed out that it contains salt and should not be used.

On a whim, after finding that my purpose made screen wash was actually pretty sh1t at cleaning the windows I decided to try adding a small drop off washing up liquid to reduce smearing.

It worked a treat!

Decided to put some into the GF's Jazz as we both use the same screen wash...

After one tank of screen wash and washing up liquid the washer jets are working as per Honda design

Coincidence?

I suspect not!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
Seemingly Fairy doesn't contain salt.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Seemingly Fairy doesn't contain salt.

I think it was the Aldi washing up liquid but will check  :D

Tags: