Author Topic: Washer Jets Clogged or Not Spraying - only Streaming Water.  (Read 10778 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
Hopefully this is a simple question with a simple solution.

The washer jets on the “new” Jazz simply squirt out a linear stream of water and don’t spray the screen like the “old” car.

The new Jazz is a 2006 model (56 plate) if that makes any difference?

I can normally clean out the washer jets with a pin or a needle but didn’t have much luck doing that with this car.

Is there a different technique involved with the later version of this model?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Washer Jets Clogged or Not Spraying - only Streaming Water.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
I changed the spray heads my Civic from big spray to double nozzles that only gave a single stream out of each nozzle because the big spray was emptying the washer bottle too quickly.  Original Jazz did have spray but think they went to jets on later ones.   If you use tap water in washer bottle and live in a hard water area the nozzles can block with limescale just like the showerhead spray on a bathroom shower,  maybe a bit of mild descaler like vinegar in the water may help,  window cleaners put vinegar in their water to stop limescale streaks on window glass.

The wide spray nozzles have a slot across them, the single stream have round hole.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:53:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »
My 56 plate has a very fine, wide spray on the windscreen, but the rear screen is a linear stream.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Sorry for the tardy update.

Tried the washers in the car yesterday and the drivers side was almost spraying as it should.

Tried covering one side at a time to increase the pressure and this did appear to help slightly.  Still not exactly spraying per the '02 model but acceptable.

Got in the car this afternoon and it's back to the meagre stream again!  :-\

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »

The wide spray nozzles have a slot across them, the single stream have round hole.

Yes, these are the wide spray nozzles according to your description.

trevflstn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »
May or may not be relevant but when i took my jazz in for its first service last September the dealer said that the washer jets were "sluggish".
It seems that Honda screen wash does not mix well with some other makes of screen wash and turns the whole reservoir to a jelly like consistency.
The dealer kindly offered to flush out the system for about £180 but i politely declined, emptied the reservoir, washed it through with hot water and refilled with Halfords special (£4 for 5 litres) and its been fine ever since.
Just remember at the next service.

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Experience has shown that ordinary tap water and some propriety windscreen wash products do not mix well. In my case it developed a cats pee smell and produced a black sludge in the reservoir.
I now use di ionised water and Autoglym and have not had a repeat. I know, some do not like diionised water but I have had no problems with this mix. Incidentally, the reservoir/jets did not freeze despite being down to -6 c.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
Experience has shown that ordinary tap water and some propriety windscreen wash products do not mix well. In my case it developed a cats pee smell

The stuff I have in at the moment smells like bubble gum! ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
I use concentrated Clearalex solution. No water at all.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Experience has shown that ordinary tap water and some propriety windscreen wash products do not mix well. In my case it developed a cats pee smell and produced a black sludge in the reservoir.
I now use di ionised water and Autoglym and have not had a repeat. I know, some do not like diionised water but I have had no problems with this mix. Incidentally, the reservoir/jets did not freeze despite being down to -6 c.

De-Ionized water is fine with plastic,  but not so good if you have any copper based alloys 'yellow metal'  in the system (brass, bronze etc.)   My wife rarely uses her windscreen washers and the fluid in the system gets a bad smell, and the screen gets smeary (I know how much is required to top it up as only I do it, she says she does not use it because it smells bad,  I tell her if she used washers more often then fluid would not start to ferment and get the bad smell,  but logic has never worked with a female). I have completely emptied her Jazz bottle a few times and refilled it with fresh so it smells nice,  but she is not about to change her habits.

I use the same stuff but have to fill mine up every couple of weeks and it smells fine,  if I use concentrated I only use tap water,  but normally in winter I do get ready mixed so I am sure concentration is correct to stop it freezing. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
I top mine up every Saturday, when we return from our hike to see mother-in-law. I use the washers a lot, especially when on dual carriageways. We went over last Monday, and being a week day the traffic was mainly trucks, so I used a wheen of  Clearalex then.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
I don't know whether they still sell it but my mate in the local garage used to add some additive to the washer bottle when he did services. Produced a fresh Apple smell, overcame the normal smell you get sometimes. Worth a try auntyneddy.

guest5079

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion MikeG1944 but since I changed to Dionised water and Autoglym I have not had any smells.
I use quite a bit of washer fluid and so  he bottle gets topped up weekly.
Not quite on subject but recently when we had the fog, I was surprised that I was the only one using my wipers and washers. Something I was taught, it is amazing how much muck is in fog.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »
I use Halfords ready mix blue screen wash. Works a treat and didn't freeze when the Beast from the East paid a visit!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything