Author Topic: Clay Bars  (Read 5923 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Clay Bars
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
If you go on any website dedicated to car cleaning you will see reference to clay bars. It's a material a bit like plasticene or playdough. It is said to remove contaminants from your paintwork. You usually knead it into a pattie shape and lightly rub over the car with either plain water or, more usually, a lubricant such as a quick detail spray. It is said to "grab" small pieces of contamination and remove them safely.

This stuff was unknown until relatively recently but to read comments in car detailing websites you'd think it was absolutely essential.

Does anybody here use it and what does clay do that a polish like autoglym super resin polish or even Turtle Wax doesn't do (I am aware of the distinction between polishes and waxes btw)?

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Clay Bars
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
With a clay bar (and lots of lubricant) you remove bonded contaminants which can not be removed (without making scratches) by washing (before) and polishing (after). After claying your car has the smoothest finish and is it safe to (cleanser) polish the car further if you want to. And the last thing is a wax, sealant or coating, which will bond the best on a smooth and clean surface.

So yes, i clay our Jazz before polishing and protecting.

Autoglym SRP is a cleanser polish, light polish/filler and sealant in one product. This also will bond the best and longest on a smooth and clean paint.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:31:18 PM by jazzway »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Clay Bars
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
Thanks jazzway. How many times a year do you do it and how long does it take to clay a Jazz? Any recommendations for clay?

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Clay Bars
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »
Twice a year, but when you have done it less than 6 months ago and the car was protected after that time all the time then once a year is good too. To feel if your car needs claying or not is easy to find out with a plastic bag: put your hand inside a clean sandwich plastic bag and feel the the paint. When it need to be clayed it feels bumpy and rough, do the bag test on that spot again after you've clayed it and feel the difference. :)

On a car which is never clayed it takes longer, because it is dirt on top of dirt on top of... etc and you can not rush it. The first time on our Jazz (which was 5 years old then) took about an hour. Now i do it in half an hour.

I use Dodo Juice Supernatural Fine Detailing clay with their clay lube, also Bilt Hamber Soft Clay is a good choice. But there are many more, only keep in mind that the Jazz has soft paint.
There's lot of information on car detailing fora. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:26:27 PM by jazzway »

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
I had my Milano Red 2012 model treated at purchase (new) with the Williams F1 coating.   The car lives outdoors and is regularly washed, but no more than weekly.   Last Summer I clayed the Jazz and almost nothing came off it onto the bar.   The paint felt very smooth before I started, and I couldn't tell any difference with the before & after smoothness.

My previous car was treated with a similar coating and I only applied polish to it once in five years - just normal washing week to week.   When I part-exchanged it, the dealer complimented me on my polishing skills, although the time I'd done that was over six months before.   The paint still felt flawless.

The end result is that I'll monitor the paint, but won't be in too much of a hurry to clay it again.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
Yes, a ceramic or glass coating is harder and durability is much longer. And i only like it WHEN the paint is polished to perfection before.

Only i am not so happy with these DIY nano coatings... Nanotechnology is not for everyone to use at home, my opinion of course.  ;)

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »
Just on detailing I remember seeing somebody detailing a Jazz on YouTube once and it was either Dutch or German. Wasn't you was it?

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
Just on detailing I remember seeing somebody detailing a Jazz on YouTube once and it was either Dutch or German. Wasn't you was it?
No, that wasn't me, i barely have time to make photos let alone a video. ;)

Tags: