Author Topic: Dashboard bulbs  (Read 11374 times)

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
Dashboard bulbs
« on: November 05, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
Hello.

I need to replace a few bulbs from the center console of my 56 plate Jazz. I have air con with the digital readout. I need a few bulbs which is for the air recirculation, automatic button etc.

Does anyone know what they are called or if I can get them off Ebay? I am sure the Stealer will charge a fortune for them.

Also does anyone have a link to a workshop manual so I can figure out how to get the bits apart I need to?

guest1372

Re: Dashboard bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
These are the backlight bulbs in their holders from a GD climate control panel, I haven't removed them from their plastic holders as didn't want to disturb them.  They just clip in with a 1/8 turn through the rear of the casing.  Internally there are perspex light guides so just two bulbs will light seven switches, and a couple of other bulbs light the temp and fan switches.  The second picture shows the bulb holder, one in situ, and the hole they fit.

They are either T4.2 (10mm base) or T4.7 (12mm base) Neo Wedge clear bulbs but I can't remember until I get home, probably the smaller one.  Honda part# 79674-S3N-941 or LED alternatives on eBay.

The pictures are of a spare panel I have at home - if you get into difficulties I could send you it if you wish.  I had considered upgrading my a/c to c/c but gaining access to the heater air box was too much effort.

Gaining access is best by taking out the radio unit.  Removing the radio unit is easy when you know how Guide - you remove a small panel under the heater controls to gain access to the two hex head 8mm bolts holding the unit in, then use a lever through the glove box opening to push the unit forward.  Once it unclips it slides forward OK.  It is made simpler for cars with climate control by the fact there are no heater cables to disconnect, just an electrical plug when pulled forward.

There might just be enough room to reach them from below without removing the radio but you would need very dexterous fingers.
--
TG

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the fantastic reply. I will hopefully have a go at it this week and see if I can replace the bulbs.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 11:05:56 PM »
A shade under 10mm so must be T4.2

Probably have to remove the unit as they don't seem to drop out easily - was shaking it like a new bottle of ketchup.
Just gave one a bit of a pull and it does not seem to separate from the plastic base.
There are lots of LED versions on eBay for a couple of pounds.
--
TG

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Is it just two bulbs on that panel?

If I get ones off ebay I want to match them up so the colour is the same.

Also do you happen to know if it's the same thing for the radio? A the light has gone behind the volume control.  I did one phone the stealer but they said I would need a whole new radio at a massive cost.

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 01:16:36 AM »
There are 4 bulb sockets on the CC control panel, you could just do them in pairs if you wanted.  Two of them light the seven mode switches along the top, the other two light the fan and the temp nudge buttons.  I'm guessing that the lcd has it's own backlight as that has no path to any of the bulbs.

The cup holders are illuminated by leds soldered to the CC circuit board.

From memory the radio unit does not use these plug in bulbs, but without disassembling one I cannot tell you the type.  Seems that it's down to part manufacturer's own choice rather than Honda specification, as the CC panel is made by Stanley and the radio by Visteon. 

A very popular instrumentation backlight is the 286 1.2w or 1.96w wedge bulb, it's quite likely to be this behind the volume control if not an led soldered to the circuit board.

This image notes equivalent part numbers for the CC panel bulb matching the ones I have here although T4.2 seems the most popular.

--
TG

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »
Thanks again for your excellent replies. They are most helpful. Now to try and find the right colour.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:06:16 PM by Jem »

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
If you want to save money you can just buy 5mm wire ended 14V lamps and just replace the blown one in the plastic holder, loads on ebay. Did that hundreds of times when repairing car radios. :)

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »
I might have to do something like that for my radio as I don't think the bulbs I am going to change will sort out the volume control know being dark.

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
I tackled this today.

First problem I ran in to was getting the radio out was a pain. It needed a good shove and pull to get it to come out once the screws were out.

I bought 4 t4.2 LED bulbs off ebay. The problem with them was that the bit the LED sits on was too big. I had to sand it down to make it fit through the hole on the PCB. I even had to take off the plastic back so I could directly get at the PCB.

I managed to sand all 4 LEDs and fit them in. This took a lot longer than I had hoped. I then took the PCB out to test it and only one of the LEDs lit up. This is when I find out that they have to be fitted the right way round. So more time turning them around.

I took the radio off and pull thed bulbs out of where the volume knob is and I have now got them on order.

I put the radio back in the car and it all works apart from now the buttons are a different colour to the rest of the dash.
I managed to drop one screw down the back when trying to get it back in the bottom of the radio. Hopefully I can get it when I do the volume knob.

Tiller

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
I tackled this today.

First problem I ran in to was getting the radio out was a pain. It needed a good shove and pull to get it to come out once the screws were out.

I bought 4 t4.2 LED bulbs off ebay. The problem with them was that the bit the LED sits on was too big. I had to sand it down to make it fit through the hole on the PCB. I even had to take off the plastic back so I could directly get at the PCB.

I managed to sand all 4 LEDs and fit them in. This took a lot longer than I had hoped. I then took the PCB out to test it and only one of the LEDs lit up. This is when I find out that they have to be fitted the right way round. So more time turning them around.

I took the radio off and pull thed bulbs out of where the volume knob is and I have now got them on order.

I put the radio back in the car and it all works apart from now the buttons are a different colour to the rest of the dash.
I managed to drop one screw down the back when trying to get it back in the bottom of the radio. Hopefully I can get it when I do the volume knob.
Did you mange to fix the light around the volume knob? If so, how? Is it similare bulbs that you used for the climate controll?

Sent fra min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

Huwbert84

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda jazz sport
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »
Do u have any pics of the finished job on this?ive got the same issue I need to tackle

Lapaz Lane

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE manual 2007
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »
I've just replaced failed bulbs for AC and demister switch illumination, and the four bulbs for the rotary volume control. They all take T3 8mm wedge fittings - I got a pack of 10 white LED ones (20mA) from Amazon UK for £8.

To get at the volume control, you have to get the centre unit out - I didn't undo the heater cable as there was enough room to keep it in situ. I also left the 3 cables plugged into the rear of the radio unit in place, to enable checking of the new bulbs and rest of the controls, prior to reattaching the PCB to the radio unit.

Undo x4 bolts holding radio unit in metal retaining bracket, the screw on each of the 4 corners of the PCB, and the 2 little screws at the top centre of where the radio unit abuts the PCB.

Gently pull unit back from PCB. Mind the ribbon cable between radio unit and PCB. I carefully released the ribbon cable from the PCB which then gave enough room to remove the failed bulbs and install the new ones.

Check if fully seated and polarity is the right way round, by switching on side lights, if using LED replacements, and adjust as needed. Then attach radio unit back to PCB, bolt back into mounting bracket and fit centre unit back.

The white LEDs result in a red hue for the demister and AC switches and volume/audio control, rather than the more subtle orange hue of all the other controls. I don't know if this is deliberate (I guess not) but I quite like it, as the contrast aids identification at night.

I've attached some pics - apologies for the poor quality, as I wasn't planning to post
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:05:47 PM by Lapaz Lane »
Honda Jazz 1.4DSi SE Manual 2007

Lapaz Lane

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE manual 2007
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
I've just confirmed - the LEDs I received and installed are of course red (despite ordering white ones). However, I quite like them. Have also managed to solder on a 12v 60mA 6mm filament wire bulb to the mirror switch PCB (had to solder one side to a different point to the original one, just below the bulb holder, to get power).
Honda Jazz 1.4DSi SE Manual 2007

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 05:20:46 PM »
Excellent job, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything