Author Topic: More CVT woes  (Read 3043 times)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
More CVT woes
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
Hello, again

I am having further problems with the transmission on my 2005 Sport CVT and am wondering whether anyone else has had the same problem. About two months ago I had the juddering takeoff that is well known for this transmission and my local dealer replaced, I believe, the starter clutch which cured the problem and the car performed faultlessly for six or seven weeks. However, for the past two or three weeks I am having problems which I think must be caused by the CVT and which give the following symptoms -

1, Sluggish acceleration and a general loss of "zip" when driving.
2, Can't accelerate uphill unless you really kick down on the throttle pedal. This is on the same hills I travel every day to work where I previously did not need to kick down.
3, Gearbox often seems to be in too low a ratio which means higher than necessary revs.
4, Fuel consumption seems to have gone up a bit and, no, it's not because I am using the air-conditioning in the warmer weather because I haven't had it on for the past couple of weeks.
5, Excessive engine braking when coming to a stop.
6, Cannot pull away smoothly from rest because engine is supplying too many revs.
7, The feeling that the car often is not in the correct ratio for the conditions.

If any other owners have experienced these problems and know of a cure I should be keen to learn what can be done.

I have taken the car back to the supplier, a reputable Honda dealership, and to be fair they had an engineer go out with me for a test drive and then had the car on their diagnostic computer but told me that they could find nothing wrong with it although they have offered me the facility to book the vehicle in for a more extended check. They also told me that the fluid in the CVT was down on minimum and that could be part of the problem [how come after only two months?]. Having topped it up for me I found no difference in the car at all. My worry is that they will continue to find nothing wrong because if you drive different cars all day and then jump into mine you might possibly think that there is nothing wrong with it; only I know that it is not the pleasure to drive that it was after the starter clutch was replaced.

Thanks for reading.

Peter in Devon
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:21:58 PM by RichardA »

Tags:

anything