Author Topic: Rear view mirror  (Read 9705 times)

guest5079

Rear view mirror
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »
Ever since I was a plod, I have always had a second rear view mirror. Bought one that does the job but has a tendency to vibrate. So have bought a 2008/14 mirror for a good price as Honda want £90 for one BUT can I find a mounting for it? I have looked at Lings exploded parts diagrams, checked on E bay and even Googled it. Nowt.
Now I would have thought a windscreen replacement firm would have them as when they replace a screen they don't try and take the old mounting off.  I admit I haven't tried them yet as I was going to when I actually received the mirror.
 However, any ideas. What on earth is it called? I have found 'button' but all that will turn up is key buttons.
Any suggestions please.
I know at least one of you learned folks will have the answer.
Thanks

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Rear view mirror
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »
Go without? I used to have a couple of cars with just an interior rear view mirror.  Lovely and uncluttered. If I needed to cover a blind spot, I turned my head.

Quite happily rode many thousands of miles on two wheels without any mirrors. Easier to duck through traffic if you do have two big things sticking out from the handlebars.

Current car just has the interior mirror plus a driver's door mirror. Can't bring myself to stick a hole in the passenger door to mount another one...

Anyway, getting back from my mirrorless digression what's the make/model of the mirror that vibrates? Name and shame!

So you're looking for this small wotsit that is bonded onto the windscreen and the rearview mirror stem slides over it?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
Reading reviews it looks as though not suitable for modern sloping windscreens as it won't tilt up high enough to look out of back window but is ideal for looking at back seat passengers -  is this the one you actually use Ozzie or do you have a better one fitted ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Yes, it is the sticky thingy I am after. The Honda mirror is the same as the Civic, the mirror is detachable by pressing in a tag and sliding the mirror off it's mounting, which is the bit I want.  As to the one fitted, it is a 'summit' which is actually fitted with a fixed pad as the original BUT it does tend to vibrate.
Eddie Honda has his views but I am sorry to disagree. Yes, I too  have ridden M/C's some of the time to chase 'villians' and yes I used the life saver but all plod cars in my time had TWO rear view mirrors for driver and observer.
It is perhaps a foible but that's what I feel comfortable with when I am sitting in the passenger seat. At the moment when my other half is driving, I do not alter the 'second' interior mirror as it seems fragile. I use the passenger door mirror but being 6' and my wife is 5' means I have to squat down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Because I am too idle to keep altering the mirror position.
Come on chaps/chapesses someone must know what it's called.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
I wonder what windscreen replacement firms do?
They must meet this problem over and over again!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
I have two rear view mirrors for my use, both made by Summit. A 7" one is located at the same height as the drivers rear view mirror and from the drivers side is mainly hidden behind their rear view mirror, and a 5" mirror that is in the top left corner of the windscreen, known as an "eye mirror" so I can see if they check their mirrors without looking directly at the driver.
Halfords and other motor factors do them, along with E bay. The suction cup on the back is angled so you can twist it round to various positions to suit sloping screens and driving positions. Once in position, its best not to keep removing it as they lose their grip, but left alone they stick for years, if you keep moving them to clean the glass they only stick for a few days and then drop off.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
Do police use it so that the officer in the passenger seat can see out of the rear window?

Do you want one for the same purpose or for some other purpose?

The ones for checking on kids in the back seats are often quite small.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »
There's special glue you can get in halfords.

I used epoxy resin glue on my old car, the stuff you mix with a hardener. It never fell off.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »
Just trust your other half's driving or drive yourself.  :P

I'm not knocking having a second one, it's just I was filling to think about what they were called.

Rear view mirror - mount, mounting, button, plate, shoe, pad, base, bracket, foot, tab, lug

Then you need to decide what sort of the above it is. Wedge, cam lock, etc.

If Honda only does them attached to the glass, find either a third-party supplier or a different marque dealer that uses the same sort of thing. Whilst there isn't a single standard, there appears to be groups of standards.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
Thanks for all the input. 2nd mirror in plod car is to enable the observer to watch what might be going on behind. Also at times of hurry up the driver has to keep his wits about him just ensuring he/she can concentrate at high speed. As  much as it is glorified on the tele, high speed driving in adverse conditions ( that is when there are other cars on the road in built up areas etc), a second pair of eyes is essential  bearing in mind that the problems concerning normal driving conditions are multiplied. I can assure those that have only seen it done and not actually done it, no fun, it's quite hard work and boy does the old adrenaline flow.  It is also useful when passing a 'suspicion' the observer can  give the driver a running commentary. It was also used for collaboration.
No I do trust my  Wife, she also likes to keep an eye on whats behind. Believe it or not over the years the second mirror has saved couple of rear rear end shunts.
As to the 'bit' the mirror has just arrived, so the hunting around windscreen places seems to be the best answer as I now have the pattern for what I want.
Once again thanks for all the input.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »
The sorry saga to this mission is that the 'boss' that I want comes stuck to the windscreen by the manufacturers. My local Windscreen place suggested a breakers. Just a tap with a hammer and chisel. Problem is now a getting a breaker to do this for a small amount of cash and  trawling through breaker ads I am amazed at the number of Jazz that have been written off.  What is a surprise is although suffering considerable damage very few have broken screens, which of course will be the only source of my 'bit'.
Tough little beggars these Jazz!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
Maybe you can chat up one of your local windscreen repair companies.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Suggested that 2 weeks ago John. Seems to have fallen on deaf ears!  :'(
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Geoff and John, He's spoken to his local windscreen outfit as suggested and has been told:

"we don't do 'em as they come pre stuck to the screen"

So it's off down the breakers. If I see a GE in the yard I'll give you a nudge auntneddy - I've got some hunting of my own to do so might bump into one so to speak.

Tags: