Author Topic: Sound proofing  (Read 8199 times)

guest5079

Sound proofing
« on: February 07, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
I am sure I have read a post on sound proofing but I cannot locate it, so I need some help please.
My post on the cowl cover leads me to the question of sound proofing the bulkhead. Whilst I am doing the wiring for the front parking sensors I might as well try and do some proofing on the bulkhead at the same time.
What would be the best material to use?
I am sure the post I read did mention the wheel arches as a contributor to noise, this would presumably be an easier task as it is a case of just removing a road wheel.  I did read on a 'Fit' forum that there was a problem with the paint under the wheel arches coming off when cleaned exposing bare metal. Any thoughts on this? I admit I have difficulty with this as the inside of a wheel arch takes a fair bit of pounding so I would have thought the paint under there would be quite tough.
Would ordinary under seal do the trick or would something tougher be the order of the day?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Sound proofing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
The wheel arches are protected by a plastic liner.. which has to be removed if you want to soundproof the arches from outside.

To do it inside, carpet removal job...

As for insulating the bulkhead from inside.... I doubt if you can properly without removing carpets and you have lots of wiring ..  Can be done. [removed by Admin].
http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:53:15 PM by RichardA »

guest4477

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »
[removed by Admin]

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
[removed by Admin]

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »
How is the sound proofing working out? Do you have any improvement? Which material have you used?

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
If he is content then good luck to him but I happen to want to achieve a little more sound deadening than Mr Honda provides.

With you all the way auntyneddy. Sound deadening is a relatively easy  way to make your car that bit nicer.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
You may pick up some hints from this link
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/dead2.html

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
Thank you  for the support and the suggestions.
 I have scrawled through E Bay and it seems that the best bet is a product called Silent Coat which has been developed by the military. I can buy 6 pieces for under £20. Given  the Jazz bonnet is quite small should be more than enough. I will try it out and if it's OK I can then go on and do more.
At the moment the project is on hold but as soon as I have done it I will post the results.

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:28:47 PM »
Thank you  for the support and the suggestions.
 I have scrawled through E Bay and it seems that the best bet is a product called Silent Coat which has been developed by the military. I can buy 6 pieces for under £20. Given  the Jazz bonnet is quite small should be more than enough. I will try it out and if it's OK I can then go on and do more.
At the moment the project is on hold but as soon as I have done it I will post the results.
How did it all work out in the end

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
Thank you for asking. At the moment a pile of sound deadening material is sitting in the garage awaiting the next stage. When I installed the front parking sensors I took the opportunity, while the 'cowl cover' was out  to put some sound proofing around the top of the engine bay. I did the floor and sides of the luggage area and then tried to do under the rear seats. This is the next stage of the project, that is to remove the rear seats and proof up to the rear of the front seats.
At each stage there has been a noticeable  reduction in road noise.
I am so surprised at the ease of removing parts on the Jazz, obviously a lot of thought has gone into the design. The rear seats are very easy to remove, the hold up was the catches on the floor that the magic seats clip into. Now that I have sussed that out it is just a case of setting aside a morning to do it.
The one thing that I will not be able to do something about is the wind noise BUT that's not too bad and it aint a Rolls Royce.

Tags: