Author Topic: honda jazz hybrid fuel consumption  (Read 23978 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: honda jazz hybrid fuel consumption
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
I recently returned from another trip to and around Scotland. 1774 miles in total with 126.02 litres of standard unleaded to top up the tank which, by my reckoning, gives 64 mpg (the car's computer was around 68 mpg). Warm weather predominated but there was a particularly damp day in the north of Scotland which caused headlights and wipers to be on most of the time with the temperature at 11C.

One annoyance with my hybrid is that while going up a long hill it directly switches from assist to charge when it decides the battery is getting low (usually half charge). The loss of power is noticeable. I wonder why Honda didn't program the system to wait until the top of the hill (which would be indicated by a sustained easing off of the throttle) to trigger any charging.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
That is good going, can't grumble at mpg like that.
I think the programming is - protect the batteries at all cost. That is why the electric assist is a bit odd.

guest3331

• Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
That is good going, can't grumble at mpg like that.
I think the programming is - protect the batteries at all cost. That is why the electric assist is a bit odd.

Have you had all the software updates for the Jazz?  In 2012 my 2010 Insight ES received 3 updates.  One of the big differences is that it does postpone charging until the top of the hill if you keep the gas pedal pressed enough to maintain speed.

If you go by the car's gentle encouragement to drive economically (via keeping the coloured speedo green) it will allow charging uphill.  The change from assist to charge is very gradual and controlled though.  Before the updates it used to be rather abrupt.

Having  seen the different behaviour, I think allowing charging uphill can be more fuel efficient in some circumstances.  A higher SOC once you reach the top of a hill can mean gliding with fuel cutoff once you get onto the flat or downhill.  It's akin to an assisted 'pulse and glide'.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
Have you had all the software updates for the Jazz?  In 2012 my 2010 Insight ES received 3 updates.  One of the big differences is that it does postpone charging until the top of the hill if you keep the gas pedal pressed enough to maintain speed.

If you go by the car's gentle encouragement to drive economically (via keeping the coloured speedo green) it will allow charging uphill.  The change from assist to charge is very gradual and controlled though.  Before the updates it used to be rather abrupt.
Everytime I have had the car serviced (by the Honda agent) I have asked them to check for software updates and they have always said that there are none available.

Given your comment about your Insight having 3 updates in 2012 I have to wonder whether my Honda agent didn't look very hard. It is difficult to believe that Honda would have fixed the Insight and not the Jazz since they are basically the same system.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 02:37:43 PM »
An update on my previous post: My local Honda agent have assured me that there are no service bulletins relating to software updates for the hybrid Jazz. Whether that means that nothing is available or people have to look somewhere else is another matter.

Tags:

anything