Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201420 times)

Century21

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
I had a 2004 plate 1.4 SE and in urban driving managed around 20mpg... lots of starting and stopping.  My current 2008 1.2 Mk1 does around 30 for the same trips.  It was bought with 6000 miles on the meter and it's immaculate, so I think it's either my driving style or the Jazzes don't like traffic.  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I had a 2004 plate 1.4 SE and in urban driving managed around 20mpg... lots of starting and stopping.  My current 2008 1.2 Mk1 does around 30 for the same trips.  It was bought with 6000 miles on the meter and it's immaculate, so I think it's either my driving style or the Jazzes don't like traffic.  :D

The Jazz should be no different in traffic to any other car with an engine,  but short journeys in traffic will kill MPG -- slow stop-start traffic and acceleration are the worst for mpg, followed by high speed.  To continually having to accelerating the mass of the car from standstill to 30 mph or there about is very inefficient. IMHO giving the car a regular run (on main road or motorway with a bit of sustained engine revs and a dose of redex injection cleaner to get the gunge and cobwebs out of it,  and some branded fuel with decent additive package) would do it good.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 02:37:10 PM »
The Jazz should be no different in traffic to any other car with an engine,  but short journeys in traffic will kill MPG -- slow stop-start traffic and acceleration are the worst for mpg, followed by high speed.  To continually having to accelerating the mass of the car from standstill to 30 mph or there about is very inefficient.
I would add that it probably takes up to 5 miles (a bit less in summer) to get the engine properly warmed up and running most efficiently. Stop-start is the type of driving condition which the hybrid Mk 2 Jazz, with its relatively small battery, was designed for. Decelleration / braking pushed some energy into the battery which could then be used to supplement the engine power when accelerating. Bigger motors / generators / batteries increase the proportion of energy recovery but Honda hasn't brought the Mk 3 Jazz hybrid in the UK (it is sold elsewhere as the Mk 3 Fit hybrid). Maybe if government adjusted the taxation to favour hybrid petrol over diesel with the equivalent CO2 then Honda might change the UK product range.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
My 56 plate 1.2 has done 92K miles. I have owned it since July and have averaged 52 mpg for the 5k I have done. The best tankful was 57 mpg, the worst, 47 mpg. These are actual measured mpg - not what the gauge says (though it is reasonably accurate on my car). I do frequent daily short journeys of around 3 - 5 miles in town (about 4 times a day), with a couple of 40 mile open road journeys most weekends. I am finding that the mpg is a lot lower now the cold weather has come along. What I do do is leave the heater temp set at cold, until the blue warning light goes out, then set it for warm. That way I allow the engine to warm up before I warm up the heater battery. I find that this way, the blue light goes out a lot quicker.

guest6599

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »
Mine's doing 45-50 mpg even though I do a lot of very short trips to the local shop!

guest6436

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »
about 35-37mpg , I only do a lot of very short trips with it (about 1 mile in total stop&go city traffic) and spend some time running it before I set off in colder morning.
It's a car that's used to do school runs, dog runs, tip runs, going to local lidl and that's it. For longer trips there's bigger car.

guest6657

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
Just under 40mpg (using tank fill to fill calculation) on my 2008 MK1 Sport with CVT box.

The trip computer is slightly more optimistic than the actual, generally stating 42-43

Sterling01

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 i-DSi SE Manual
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »
This is always of interest to me. I always brim the car with fuel and run it till the low fuel light comes on and them brim it again. In my opinion, if you always drive in a similar manner, a sudden change in fuel consumption can be an early indication of something not quite right with the car. For my test I did 60% motorway, 30% A-roads and 10% B-roads, sticking to the speed limits. My car is a 2008 with 90k on the clock.

I'm pretty happy with that result. I brimmed the car and did a calculation and it came out at 50.4mpg, so the computer in the car is pretty damn close.

I'm going to do a full service on the car soon, only using Honda parts. All filters, spark plugs, oil, etc. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
I get about 250 miles on a full tank on the second hand car that purchased with about 90k miles on it (automatic).

I believe the fuel tank is only 45 litres capacity too right?

Does that sound like poor mileage or good for a whole tank?  Wife only drives it locally to drop the kid to school and for shopping.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
The tank capacity is 42 litres, just over 9 gallons. Your consumption depends on usage.Do you mean by a full tank that is what you get between fill-up and low level light coming on? The Jazz low light is very pessimistic generally coming on with about 7 litres left, best part of two gallons.
If so your consumption is about 33mpg but if you are only doing short journeys in traffic with lots of cold starts that is not unusual.

Vic.

guest1372

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
250 on a full tank sounds low, but probably OK for town miles or 85 mph down the M1.  Driving at 60 ~ 65 will see much better results.  My rule of thumb is 10 miles per litre (350 miles / 35 litres per fill) if away from favourite points paying petrol station.
--
TG

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
yeah i think its when the light came on.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:39 AM »
250 to light is fine for all local short runs.

Tank is a nominal 42 litres. Least ours has been filled with is 30.61 litres, most 47.96. Generally gets filled 36 to 40 litres.

Worst consumption was 8.74 l/100km (32.3mpg) and that was hammering it on a motorway with a roofbox on.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
I get about 350 miles before the light comes on. The most I have ever put in to top up (first click off of the pump) is 7.9 gallons/36 litres. I do mainly town driving, and over the 6K miles I have done since buying the Jazz I have averaged 52 mpg.

guest6709

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
So far, after only 4 days of driving my 2005 1.5 CVT-7 import, the best I've managed on a on-way trip to/from work (33 miles) is 57.6 mpg (or 20.4 km/l as per the ODO).

Sampled over a mixture of village, B roads, Motorway and A roads driven very sedately.

Tags: