Author Topic: speedo innacurate reading  (Read 3399 times)

guest882

speedo innacurate reading
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
the speedometer shows 10kph less then the actual speed.i couldn't find any hint in the haynes manual..

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
Re: speedo innacurate reading
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
If you Google speedometer accuracy you will see a great number of hits, mostly referring to "Vehicle Construction and Use regulations". Within the Vehicle C&U regs are suggestions of compliance to EEC regs.
I think you will find that your speedo is within the regs!

guest882

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »
i forgot to say that when i top up with petrol the fuel indicator shows a reading which is about 1.5cm above the max fuel limit

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
If your speedo is reading LESS than the actual speed of the  car (how did you check it? from a satnav readout I guess) then that can be a serious error. It means you can be exceeding the speed limit by 10kph and think you are within the limit.  As you can see from the quote below, your speedo should be designed to over-read. On my jazz the speedo is about 2mph optimistic, which means at an indicated 60mph my satnav tells me i'm doing about 58mph. I would check that your tyres are within the diameter allowed, if they have been modified and are bigger than the tyres on a 'standard' Jazz, then your speedo will read under (the wheels are going around slower than they should be for any given speed).

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest882

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
the front tyres are the size specified in the cars id card which is 175/65R14.the back tyres are wider 185/65R14.do the back tyres have anything to do with the speedo reading?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »
The width of the tyres will not affect the speedo, only the diameter. The speed sensor will either be on the gearbox final driveshaft or the ABS wheel rotation sensor.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: