Author Topic: Intelligent Speed Limiter  (Read 11985 times)

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
Re: Intelligent Speed Limiter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »
Finding the speed limiter very useful but would ideally like to set it a few mph above the nominal, 30, 40 etc. I have found one can do this temporarily at a given speed using the +/- buttons, but the setting disappears at the next speed sign. Is there any way to make the settings stick so that eg when in a 30mph area, the speed limit is always say 33? Thanks.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »
No, I don’t think so, short of repainting the roadsigns!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2021, 01:53:52 PM »

Future speed limit signs will display 22, 33, 44, 55, 66 and 77mph  .... :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 11:47:26 PM »

Future speed limit signs will display 22, 33, 44, 55, 66 and 77mph  .... :o
Thanks. What a good idea!  ;)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2021, 07:46:44 AM »
Finding the speed limiter very useful but would ideally like to set it a few mph above the nominal, 30, 40 etc. I have found one can do this temporarily at a given speed using the +/- buttons, but the setting disappears at the next speed sign. Is there any way to make the settings stick so that eg when in a 30mph area, the speed limit is always say 33? Thanks.
I suspect there’s a legal minefield here. In law, the speed limiters (and the cruise control) are probably regarded as “speed measuring devices” and are therefore subject to the same tolerances on measurement as the speedometer. In practice this means they’ll always under-read, hence why you want to set them a little higher than the posted speed. Honda are unlikely to enable an automatic means of doing that because it would imply over-riding the speed measurement law: they want to ensure that you, the driver, are responsible by having to take a positive action to adjust the set speed every time.

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2021, 11:24:40 AM »
Thanks ColinB. You could well be right. In the meantime, I'll probably just get used to the Limiter as it is!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2021, 02:35:21 PM »
Thanks ColinB. You could well be right. In the meantime, I'll probably just get used to the Limiter as it is!

Thing to remember is that if you drive 10% faster you won't get there 10% quicker..... you will be caught behind others and their speed limiters will be reading 10% slow LOL

Actually around our way if people did the speed limit it would be great,  a good many ( mainly during the day ) toddle around at much lower speed.   I remember when I was still working I said to my wife ( who had already retired ) 'be glad to get out of rush hour, must be great to drive around in the day with lighter traffic',  she laughed and said 'roads in daytime are full of pensioners and tractors, and often the tractors are the fastest'.... I soon learned that she was spot on..... but how someone can drive at 30 in 60 limits is a mystery to me.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2021, 02:40:37 PM »
but how someone can drive at 30 in 60 limits is a mystery to me.
No problem.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
..... but how someone can drive at 30 in 60 limits is a mystery to me.
A surprising number of people are driving without retaining any knowledge of the Highway Code. For example the various National Speed Limits of roads of certain configurations: built up area, not built up area, single carriageway, dual carriageway, motorway.

Such things as non-motorway Special Roads (eg. A55 Colwyn Bay, A720 Edinburgh bypass, A90 Aberdeen Bypass) are, however, niche knowledge. (They don't have a default National Speed Limit and should be explicitly signed with a numerical limit.)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2021, 05:49:28 AM »
What does the speed limiter use as its source ?

If it uses the camera as part of the equation I'd be turning it off. On my M4 journey between Heathrow and Reading, westbound, there are 3 places I know of where a parallel road 30 or 40 sign is clearly visible from the motorway, and very close. Close enough to trick the camera I reckon.

On the motorway :

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:52:48 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 07:49:02 AM »
What does the speed limiter use as its source ?

If it uses the camera as part of the equation I'd be turning it off. On my M4 journey between Heathrow and Reading, westbound, there are 3 places I know of where a parallel road 30 or 40 sign is clearly visible from the motorway, and very close. Close enough to trick the camera I reckon.

It uses a camera, and the recognition system just isn’t reliable enough for this purpose. It can be dangerous. I’ve posted pictures before of circumstances where it always mis-reads the signs, including one like your picture. In that situation, if the camera reads the 30 on the adjacent road and you’re travelling at (say) 70 on the motorway, then the car will sound an intrusive alarm inside and immediately close the throttle so you start slowing down (imagine taking your foot completely off the gas at 70!); the car doesn’t use the brakes, just closes the throttle so the guy behind you doesn’t get the cue of your brake lights to tell him you’ve suddenly decided to slow down. It’s not immediately obvious to you, the driver, what’s happening so it can take a few seconds to figure it out. After a narrow squeak like that in the early days of ownership I won’t use it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »
Such things as non-motorway Special Roads (eg. A55 Colwyn Bay, A720 Edinburgh bypass, A90 Aberdeen Bypass) are, however, niche knowledge. (They don't have a default National Speed Limit and should be explicitly signed with a numerical limit.)
I drive the A720 Edinburgh City Bypass on an almost daily basis. It has a 70 mph limit and is signposted as such. It is an A road but with restrictions for cyclists, horse-drawn vehicles and pedestrians signed at every on-ramp. There are no variable speed limits on the road.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »
= road rage waiting to happen.

And Euro NCAP want this included.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
= road rage waiting to happen.

And Euro NCAP want this included.

To be fair, they don't necessarily want THIS system included. What they want is for a car to recognise and obey speed limits. I can foresee something based on a geographic database rather than relying on flaky recognition of road signs. Google Maps already does this (that's how the traffic overlay works, by comparing actual traffic speeds with the speed limit). But that requires all vehicles to have location monitoring and access to a universal database, whether the driver wants it or not.

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
Is the Limiter system in the Hybrid Ex model linked to the Satnav? If so, this should give more reliable speed limit information perhaps...? But then I guess the satnav might not be switched on?  :o
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:40:46 AM by Victor Delta »

Tags:

anything