Author Topic: More Torque  (Read 1864 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
More Torque
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
I love my Jazz, like most on here, however i would like a bit more Torque lower down. I have read only a couple of mods from usually US fit cars and was wondering if anyone has done any 'tweeks' or know of anyone who has?

Seems like re-mapping/new exhaust and filter do wonders. And no, i don't really want a faster model, i like the Jazz, and as it was a gift from the mother-in-law I don't mind spending a bit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: More Torque
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »
Dump the VTEC and fit a DSi. Loads of low down torque.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 06:36:36 PM »
Dump the VTEC and fit a DSi. Loads of low down torque.

+1

My wife would love the  i-DSi engine she had in her MK1 in her MK2, she would also like the same boot space as she had in MK1 ..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
Hi,
But would she like to go back to the mk. 1 horrible steering

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:58:25 PM »
I ve fitted a k&n panel air filter, (around £50) and always use shell v-power petrol, and my jazz 1.4 ex  seems to have a bit more low down torque... it will now happily accelerate in 4th gear from as low as 20mph!!  ( just dont expect wonders from a 1339cc engine)... also ive found the occasional good run with plenty of revs seems to give mine a bit more go, as most of my driving is usually in town.... ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
it will now happily accelerate in 4th gear from as low as 20mph!!  ( just dont expect wonders from a 1339cc engine)
My 1246cc i-DSi will do that in 5th.

Chris_Music

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
+1

My wife would love the  i-DSi engine she had in her MK1 in her MK2, she would also like the same boot space as she had in MK1 ..

Am I the only one who thought the MK2 was faster and had better space? it has 100hp and VTEC?
I went from a MK1 to a MK2, and the two biggest differences I noticed was it being noticeably faster with better acceleration, especially at low speeds and when pulling from a stand still, and how much more room I had inside. Though I'm thinking interior space, and how I could have the front seats all the way back and be able to put the rear seats down without having to move the front seats forward (something I hated so much in the MK1 as a tall person)!
There's absolutely nothing I miss from the MK1!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
+1

Am I the only one who thought the MK2 was faster and had better space? it has 100hp and VTEC?
I went from a MK1 to a MK2, and the two biggest differences I noticed was it being noticeably faster with better acceleration, especially at low speeds and when pulling from a stand still, and how much more room I had inside. Though I'm thinking interior space, and how I could have the front seats all the way back and be able to put the rear seats down without having to move the front seats forward (something I hated so much in the MK1 as a tall person)!

Well, all I know is that when we had MK1 we could get two golf bags across the boot and our cases on top, and could still squeeze two folding golf trolleys ( with wheels off, but wheels still went into boot ) - we cannot do that on my wifes MK2.  The fact is that while the MK2 does have a bit more power it needs revving to get to it.  I never stalled any MK1 but do it fairly often on MK2,  the MK1 is just nicer in urban areas ( where most cars spend majority of their time ) and more 'tractable' and relaxed to drive.   The MK2 lost its 'urban car' credentials with the revvy Vtec engine, the MK2 is a better car in many ways such as ride ( but only with 15" wheels ) but not in the engine and space departments.  My wife often says 'I wish I had my MK1 back, it was much easier to drive - but then again on any long journeys I get to be nominated driver.  As Jocko has proven,  MK2 is not better in fuel consumption either,  we used to get better figures more easily with MK1.

They may have given MK2 slightly more cabin space to enable rear seats to fold down with headrest still in place,  but IMHO they took that space out of the boot.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:15:59 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
+1

I test drove a late model Mk1 before I eventually,  about 6 months later, bought a Mk2. After the test drive of the Mk1 I felt it was a bit gutless (I was driving a 1.8 Civic at the time so the difference was always going to be there). When we got back to the garage I told the rep I didn't think I could live with the lack of power (it was a 1.4 DSI). When I test drove the Mk2, I felt the difference between it and the Mk1 was night and day in terms of acceleration and low down grunt and I bought the car.

So, to conclude, you are not the only one who prefers the performance of the Mk2. Many on here do prefer the Mk1 in terms of low down grunt but I think I would have to do a side by side test to reach a conclusion.

Tags: